JLJunkie's Retarded Budget Build

JLJunkieMX107
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I've been out of the scene for quite a few years and just getting back into it. So back in the day, I used to build a lot of boxes (worked at an audio shop as a box builder in 2007). I always wanted to take a bunch of cheap-o budget subs, build a decent box for them, and then throw as much power as those pieces of crap can handle to see how loud they can get......welcome to JLJunkie's retarded budget build. And no, this is not retarded in a good way lol

The theme of this build is to spend as little as possible while still getting a decent bump in the trunk. I am a huge advocate of doing things correctly and safely, so there will be things purchased that aren't exactly "budget" grade. I will also be building out something more respectable and want to have all my electrical setup for my "good" install.

Current status: the subs and amps are on the way. I wont give the subs away just yet, but I bought 8 of them for a whopping total of $105. Yep, 8 subs for $100
I need to send 1,600 watts through these bad boys, so in true budget fashion - I ordered an Audiopipe APMI 2000. These amps are super inefficient which means my electrical system will see a facelift before I start running this amp.

I also have a few runs of 1/0 gauge on order so I can do the big 3. Eventually will have a battery bank for my future build, but not concerned about that for now. My stock alt is running at 160A, will need to upgrade that in the future as well (probably with a mechman 270A).

Anyway, I did some work on my ride today and will post pics immediately following this post. This truck is a bone stock 2014 Ram 1500 crew cab, starting off fresh! I use this truck daily and regularly need my back seat to haul people around. The amps will be permanently mounted but I am going to fabricate a sliding tray system that lets me easily remove the sub box whenever I need to use the seats. Onward to what people actually view these threads for....the pictures!

The truck, bone stock 2014 Ram 1500

19944245_825872570901638_8265834448238771156_o_zpszmdins5u.jpg

Got her in the shop, time to do work

20180526_190746_zpsxp93xcd8.jpg

Here's everything that went in today. I needed to get a better HU in the truck but didn't want to spend a fortune. Ended up getting a Kenwood KDC-x399 for $50 at a pawn shop. Using a Metra double din install kit, to include their CAN bus wiring kit (this **** was so much simpler in the 90's). Also had to a get an antenna adapter

20180526_163300_zpsrrvdkxri.jpg

Ripped the dash apart, that stock HU needs to go

20180526_162405_zpswul515wq.jpg

Almost ready to put in the new HU, however, that dang aluminum housing is in the way (won't let the new HU slide in). Also, staying refreshed with a nice can of Oberon

20180526_162549_zpsthy1fdgs.jpg

The two lines are where I need to cut. This oscillating tool has been my savior on so many projects, zipped right through the aluminum like butter. Also, I have sliced my hand open too many times on sharp edges, swapped out attachments and sanded this crap down.

20180526_164119_zpsic6ft9fm.jpg

20180526_190604_zpspvreqgn8.jpg

20180526_164702_zpsvevvlies.jpg

Aaaaand the "new" HU is in and functioning, sounds so much better than the stock one too. Can't wait to get the subs/amp to get a little bass going.

20180526_184726_zps9hqe4su5.jpg

Here is what I've got to work with for space on this build. I've got 15.8 cubic feet, maybe a little more if I want to breach the window line. I only need 12 cubes for these subs (doing a kerfed slot port).

20180526_191532_zpspn1tgcsa.jpg

20180526_191543_zpsfotvs0hx.jpg

Here is a bonus for some of you old school guys on here. We recently moved into our current house and the previous owners were kind enough to leave a few boxes of random junk in the garage. Today, I finally got around to looking through it all and found this little gem hiding in there. In the 90's, these Aura MR-5's were the shiznit. Unfortunately, I only have one of the midbass speakers and not the whole set of components
It's still a nice little speaker to have around the shop, brings back memories

20180526_190831_zpsohzmatde.jpg

Received the amp today, the subs should be here tomorrow. Buck is designing a box for these beasts. Hopefully I'll be able to start building the box and upgrading my electrical next week. 1/0 runs on order, starting with the big 3 and should have my 270A alt in a couple of weeks. I'll mostly likely try to run dual alts but I just need to find or fab a **** bracket.

20180530_183227_zpslythfvd5.jpg

Excited to see how this turns out man. I am doing something very similar but it’s still probably a year out. Got subs already and amps on the way but no vehicle as of yet lol.

Im gonna guess 8 Dual 8"s.. dont forget about rise, unless your wiring low, the subs may never see full power. which means your electrical "might" be ok. checking voltage is the only way to know, but ill bet your close to max..

Btw, i like these kinda build threads. always nice to see how others minds work. keep us updated

Excited to see how this turns out man. I am doing something very similar but it’s still probably a year out. Got subs already and amps on the way but no vehicle as of yet lol.
I will keep you guys posted. I am having fun just building this and not trying to go for impressive numbers. I always wanted to throw some power at a bunch of cheap subs in a decent box just to see what happens.

Im gonna guess 8 Dual 8"s.. dont forget about rise, unless your wiring low, the subs may never see full power. which means your electrical "might" be ok. checking voltage is the only way to know, but ill bet your close to max..
Btw, i like these kinda build threads. always nice to see how others minds work. keep us updated
Man, you are pretty close on the brand. Not Dual or Boss, but pretty close. This was actually a pretty respectable brand in the 90's but their quality went to crap over the years. I haven't seen anyone run these before, so it will be interesting. UPS says they will be here tomorrow so I will have a few pics to post

From what I discussed with Buck, it looks like we are going with a 6th order. This thing should be a beautiful design (if you've seen Buck's work). In all honesty, these speakers don't deserve to go in the box I am going to build lol. However, one day I might throw in some decent 8's to see what it can really do.

The final load on the amp will be 2 ohms. From the tests I've seen on this amp, it did 1300 watts @ 13.9V on a certified run. It pulled 156 amps, my stock alt is 160A. I think with the big 3 and maybe an extra battery it might be a good bandaid for now. I really can't wait to get the HO alt installed so I can be worry free.

Also, TheFiverMan just shipped a couple of Soundqubed HDS3 12's to me, so stay tuned for build log #2 (the more respectable thread lol)

Spooney, I just realized that I am only about 30 minutes from you (I live in Saranac). You'll have to hear it once it's done and let everyone know what you think.

Very, very close man. In the same bracket. I actually had to hunt these down, they aren't being sold at your local big box stores. Honestly, from what I thought of this company in the 90's, I never expected them to produce a sub of this poor quality and such a low price. These things were like $12 bucks a piece lol. I didn't really intend to build the suspense on what these babies are, but this is fun lol. Buck isn't allowed to guess tho.

I really wanted to do 8 Elemental Designs 8" subs. However, I realized that I've been gone from the audio world for too long and that Elemental Designs went out of business 6 years ago

I bet it's 8 of those Blaupunkt subs from Walmart.com lol
Hahaha you nailed it man. I've got 8 of the GBW801's arriving tomorrow. We'll see if these bad larrys give the funky pups a run for their money.

Blaupunkt used to be great back in the day. It is still respectable over in Germany (that's where I've been the last 6 years). But maaaaan, there stuff has gone to crap over here in the good 'ol US of A.

Hahaha you nailed it man. I've got 8 of the GBW801's arriving tomorrow. We'll see if these bad larrys give the funky pups a run for their money.
Blaupunkt used to be great back in the day. It is still respectable over in Germany (that's where I've been the last 6 years). But maaaaan, there stuff has gone to crap over here in the good 'ol US of A.

You will be very surprised with the build quality when you get them. I have 4 of the 10s and 2 of the 12s.

You guys are getting me super excited about this build now. I took a chance on these for this budget build and hoped I would be surprised. The 2 that I debated on were these Blaupunkts and the Soundstorm SS8. I can't wait to get these things slappin'.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.