JL W6 tear, can you help me identify if just the rubber surround is messed up *PICS*

RoachForLife
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Florida
Noticed this a couple days ago. Im no expert but Im pretty sure a surround replacement Ive seen for like $20 should do the trick. Pics below

Also should I avoid using the sub until I repair? I imagine so but wanted to check if it mattered

Index of /jltear

jltear1.JPG

jltear2.JPG

jltear3.JPG

Thanks guys!!

looks like you were throwing it a lil futher than it was designed for. if you have never done this before becareful you can misalign the coil and cause rubbage and failure...

I had one about 2 inches across and used liquid nails.... It held strong for the next 2 months i used it lol.

oh and yeah avoid using it until it is repaired.

Noticed this a couple days ago. Im no expert but Im pretty sure a surround replacement Ive seen for like $20 should do the trick. Pics below
Also should I avoid using the sub until I repair? I imagine so but wanted to check if it mattered

Thanks guys!!
lulz, nope, it's good to go!

RTV silicon will work
Ya this is your best bet..might be beyond repair, but it's worth a try. This stuff is in the automotive section at Walmart...try to find the black kind so it'll be less noticeable.

yeah dude i got my e8 with a 4" crack in the surround just did a thick bead of silicone smoothed it out and it's been playing fine for about 4 months now

Good luck finding a surround for it. The one your seeing in the stores is for the V1 not the V2. The v1 will not come close to fitting. JL will not replace it without charging you $155 where they replace all moving parts even though you dont need it they will not just replace the surround. I was in a similar situation so basically you have a 14 lb paper weight unless you can find a different surround that will fix it. This is exactly why I will never buy another jl product

I checked with PSI and they dont work on the v2 model.

I then sent emails to a few places and await their response. Also called JL and they said (as expected) $185 + shipping from an authorized dealer. They replace all parts but the basket and the motor.

Its funny because JL Audio it turns out is 20min from where I work, yet they wont let me drive it over to them. Lovely. Oh and it comes with a 90day warranty

Hmm...

thats weird they quoted me $155 plus shipping. They probably dont want anyone on the premises so they can protect there w6 &w7 secrets. Fu** JL there original prices is one thing but people dont consider the maintenance cost even a simple tear will cost you almost $200. People need to stop buying their products because they've gotten out of control.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.