JL Audio?

klingcam
10+ year member

Norcal
What's the general opinion of the price/quality/performance of JL Audio speakers? Thinking about maybe components(6 1/2 w/ 1 in. tweets) for the front and coaxs (6 1/2)for the rear. How do JL Audio speakers rate?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

Price/quality factor is rather high. They are high quality products that carry a generally ludicrous price tag.

As far as their speakers go...

They don't stand out to me, but I haven't played with any of there higher end models. Your best bet would be to browse your local craigslist and be patient. A good deal will come your way eventually.

If you want good bang for buck speakers, look into Phoenix Gold RSD speakers. There are better speakers out there, but not for the money!

they are good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif........i have 2 set's BNIB [i have C3 650(convertibles: Components: 2way coaxial), C2 650x (coaxial 2 way) ]

i bought them to put it on my car... but have no use now

i also have an amp (JL J2 320/4)... PM if interested.... i know this is not a classified session

Well, seems that everyone feels they're overpriced. I heard them and liked them, but then again, they weren't in my car. Don't know where to find/give a listen to the Phoenix Golds. Any suggestions, Bobb? Any opinion of some of the more readily available retail brands: Boston Acoustics, Polk, Infinity, Pioneer, etc. in 6 1/2 coaxs or comps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, seems that everyone feels they're overpriced. I heard them and liked them, but then again, they weren't in my car. Don't know where to find/give a listen to the Phoenix Golds. Any suggestions, Bobb? Any opinion of some of the more readily available retail brands: Boston Acoustics, Polk, Infinity, Pioneer, etc. in 6 1/2 coaxs or comps?
I say just buy a pair of PG RSD's and try them out. They are so cheap that it's hard to go wrong! I believe a pair of 6.5 components go for around $50.

Not sure where you can hear a pair. I don't live near you, so I don't know any shops for you to stop by that have them.

Any opinion of some of the more readily available retail brands: Boston Acoustics, Polk, Infinity, Pioneer, etc. in 6 1/2 coaxs or comps?
Boston is like a better price JL (but still a little expensive), Polk is hard to go wrong with speaker-wise, the "Infinity" sound can be replicated by hitting a tin can with a metal spoon, and the only speakers that Pioneer makes that are worth getting are there higher end components.

Look into Image Dynamics. Their speakers have the same bang-for-buck factor of the Phoenix Gold RSD's, but at a higher price. If you alright with buying used, look into RE XXX components. Those are the ones I would go for if I had the budget.

Most people who say they don't like Jl audio, I feel are leaning that way just to go against the grain. I'm not an expert and don't claim to be, but I think they make some very good products. Their c5 components I think are very good especially for the price. Speakers are very subjective though. What I might like you or someone else may not.

it depends how much you can get the jl for. when they came out with the zr line came out i got 2 pair of 6.5in xr comps for $450. to me personally i think they're the best thing out there. and i'm talkin better than any focals or any hertz. i run mine with the jl 300/2 pretty hard and they sound amazing, and can take it just fine. best bet if you want some, find a sale on em. which ones you looking at? how much you finding them for?

Infinity Gets the dumb'd down or reject crap from JBL.... errrr.. Even though they are basically the same.. and owned by the same company.. using the basic same design and material.. it is amazing putting JBL and Infinity side by side.. the difference of the two brands.. there was a short time they were exactly the same.. **** glad that time is over..

I wish Image Dynamics would be more main stream so people in general could actually hear them.. by walking into a Car Toys or other local shop.. hard to find some of the internet brands... at least down here anywyas with out driving half a day to some hole in the wall shop.. that does not speak english..

I can vouch for Boston.. I have a 6.5 pair in my Truck.. only 35 w rms and I have to admit sound pretty **** good.. they distort like mad.. with out cross overs to cut low and bass out as they CAN NOT handle it at all.. unlike the tin can tank like infinity's actually could.. eh.. somewhat..

(Side note) One good thing about Infinity though is you can over power the **** out of them and they still keep 'clanking the can' so to speak.. :p

Infinity Gets the dumb'd down or reject crap from JBL.... errrr.. Even though they are basically the same.. and owned by the same company.. using the basic same design and material.. it is amazing putting JBL and Infinity side by side.. the difference of the two brands.. there was a short time they were exactly the same.. **** glad that time is over..
I wish Image Dynamics would be more main stream so people in general could actually hear them.. by walking into a Car Toys or other local shop.. hard to find some of the internet brands... at least down here anywyas with out driving half a day to some hole in the wall shop.. that does not speak english..

I can vouch for Boston.. I have a 6.5 pair in my Truck.. only 35 w rms and I have to admit sound pretty **** good.. they distort like mad.. with out cross overs to cut low and bass out as they CAN NOT handle it at all.. unlike the tin can tank like infinity's actually could.. eh.. somewhat..

(Side note) One good thing about Infinity though is you can over power the **** out of them and they still keep 'clanking the can' so to speak.. :p
we talking about JL, not jbl

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.