JL Audio XR650-CSi Review

Participant count
  • Participant list

phrozen5100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Indiana
Ok, I'm on a reviewing spree here so I might as well not stop. I was just about to go with the CDT boner that goes on around here and get some CDT components, when eBay started to call my name. I ended up snatching this component set off of eBay in good condition for like $140 shipped. I had to wait a while to get these installed, due to lack of wiring accessories. When I finally got them installed I said to myself "Holy ****....these sound terrible." Well, I had spent all day wiring them up and I finished at about 8:30 or so at night, which contributed to this wiring catastrophe of mine. Me being the lazy SOB I am, decided it'd be ok to just extend the stock wiring. So I went ahead and extended the white and grey wires and alas after testing I finally found where I went wrong. My HU really told me to tell you the truth, with a mean crackling noise and some smoke. So in the darkness I had accidentally extended the wires from the HU instead of the speakers, worst wiring mistake I've ever made...but who needs an internal amp in their HU anyway?

So after taking the time to install them correctly and mess with the crossovers, I really got to hear these. I must say they sound **** good. My imaging is total crap thanks to my crappy tweeter installation, but these things still sound good. The midbass could be a bit better, but I'm certainly not complaining. I've seen some crazy deals go down on eBay as far as JL XR component sets go. If you can find some of these used for a decent price, by all means go for it! I wouldn't recommend paying the $380 price tag *cough* Ovation *cough* some of your local dealers may have unless you REALLY want that warranty with 'em.

Updated for a pic...

c9njlaudioxr650csi1.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

phrozen5100

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
phrozen5100
Indiana
Start date
Participants