Rockford Fosgate Type RF X5 Review

Participant count
  • Participant list

phrozen5100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Indiana
Alright, I've been using this thing for about four months now so I've decided it'd be a good time to review it. I currently have it powering dual Tempests in a large ported enclosure. I snagged this thing off of eBay from highdesertaudio (RF's eBay handle all items come w/ 90 day warranty) for a bit less than $200.00.

Power output: 10/10

This thing is rated to put out 550w x 1 @ 2 ohms w/ 12.6v input voltage. I haven't benched it, but I do know it gives enough power to my Tempests to get 'em plenty loud. It also has enough power @ 4 ohms to blow a cheap Pioneer speaker within 1-2 seconds.

Efficiency: 10/10

This thing is da*n efficient. All of my previous amplifiers were class AB, so a switch to class BD was a significant improvement for me. I never have any voltage problems and this thing is rated to draw only about 30A of current during full output with musical play. The average efficiency for these is 75-80%.

Reliability: 10/10

The Type RF amps are notorious for reliability issues, however, mine has performed like a champ. I've never had this thing shut off on me for any reason, and it's not installed in the "amp-friendliest" place...in the middle of the sub box w/ some padding between it and the box.

Features: 8.5/10

Nothing too special here: SSF set @ 25 hz, LPF, Gain, and Phase settings, oh, and the little bass boost knob. Just your average sub amp features, but at least RF was smart enough to make the settings very easy to adjust, not that most user will need to do that (except volume masters)

Cosmetics: 6/10

Ok, I'm not a huge fan of how these things were designed cosmetically. Sure, they have the plenum to aid in cooling blah blah blah, but I'd greatly prefer a nice brushed aluminum finish over all the plasticy crap they threw on here. RF also gives you the option to "customize" your amp by buying different colored corners and crap like that...I really don't think that's necessary.

Overall: 9.5/10

For the prices you can get these things for refurbed off eBay, they're a steal. The efficiency is really top notch and the power ratings are CEA-2006 compliant. I'd highly recommend getting one of the refurbs off highdesertaudio as they come with the 90 day warranty.

Update for a pic...

p0zx5inbox.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

phrozen5100

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
phrozen5100
Indiana
Start date
Participants