JL Audio Sub Question? HELP!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

wilmo

Indy
I just installed two 10" JL Audio 10w3's in my car. I used a store bought sealed box and it sounds pretty good, but, (here's the problem) when I watch both subs with the volume up, one moves (bounces) alot more than the other. I checked all outside connections. I checked RCA's at the amp, Speaker wire at the Amp, and the speaker wire at the box. I know it's getting some juice, because when I unplugged the weak speaker at the box I heard some drop-off in sound (bass). I have done some installs in the past, but it has been a while. I was a little confused by the Dual Voice Coils on the Subs. There were 4 Plugs on each side of the Sub (two + and two -) (for a total of eight). I'm running them at four ohms. According to the directions I should have connected one positive and one negative to each other, with the other two (postive and negative) going to the connector and out of the box. As far as the two it says to hook together(+ and -), should I connect both the postive and negative sides of the speaker wire to one side and in turn do the same on the other side of the speaker or do i just need one half of my speaker wire to connect a postive and a negative? I know sounds very confusing, drawing a picture would be much easier. Am I trying to address something that may not be the problem? Any help would be great. Thanks, Steve

if you notice, each side of the sub has one set of positive and negative terminals on it (there are two posts for each positive and negative, i don't know why). if you are running the voice coils in series (which is sounds like you are), run a wire from the negative of one side to the positive of the other (you only need to use one of the tabs on each + and - terminal). then do the same for the other subwoofer. now, i don't know how you plan on hooking your subs up from here, (as far as series or parallel) but there should be one open positive and one open negative terminal on each speaker (and each terminal will have two connection tabs on it). if you give me more info on what kind of amp you're using and how you want these hooked up, i will give you more info....

yeah it's a simple fix.. that happened to me a few days ago.. i was installing my friends stereo for him.. and noticed that the subs were off with eachother.. i was like what the ****.. my neighbor comes out.. and switches the wires and.. bam.. BOUNCE BOUNCE together..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.