JL Audio. Bottom Line. Expert Advice only please

Not following is what is going on.
You can indeed overpower a speaker and as long as you allow it to cool, thus not break the thermal barrier of it's design specifications, indeed it will be fine. Break the barrier though and you will be buying new subs.

agreed.. ne ways.. nice setup ( orig. poster) thats a nice setup

And turning the gain down on a amp does not magically make it produce any less power either.
umm, yes it does... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

(ok not "magically" tho) :p

umm, yes it does... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
(ok not "magically" tho) :p

You live in minneapolis? if so does bass zone have any shows coming up? or innovative audio?

mmmkkaaayy, lets see your reasoning as to why?
haha... go out to your car and turn your deck up to volume 20, bumpin right? If not, turn it up more! Now go back to your amp and turn the gain ALL the way down.

like OMG the amp is "magically" putting out less power!

haha I dont know what we're arguing...

No the amp is not putting out any less power, all you have done is changed the input voltage of the amp and changed the point of clipping. An amp makes full power at low input voltage all the way through to high input voltage DEPENDING on the amount of input voltage from the source that is driving it. You are treating the gain as a volume control which it is not. By the same token on how you are looking at it, we all should use the smallest amps there are and crank the gains wide open to get more power than the amp is stated to deliver.

No the amp is not putting out any less power, all you have done is changed the input voltage of the amp and changed the point of clipping. An amp makes full power at low input voltage all the way through to high input voltage DEPENDING on the amount of input voltage from the source that is driving it. You are treating the gain as a volume control which it is not. By the same token on how you are looking at it, we all should use the smallest amps there are and crank the gains wide open to get more power than the amp is stated to deliver.

... NO ur wrong... the guy i work with said made his 10" 800 watt xplod insane loud from cranking up the gain and crossover points ...lolol:crazy:

No the amp is not putting out any less power,
oh no?

So when the amp's gain was at, say, half way, and it was driving the speakers hard (say you measure it putting out 200watts), then hte gain is turned ALL the way down to drive the speakers barely audibly, its still putting out that 200watts!? AMAZING! Tell me sir, where is all that power going? Its sure as hell aint goin to the speakers, and my amp isnt burning hot either! wtf mate?! magical! Go submit a patent because you have just violated the law of conservation of energy!

Lets see here, you incorrectly set the gain of the amp by decreasing the dependency on input voltage and it gets quiter, well no ****. An amp is an amp. It makes power as rated into the load regardless of where the gain is set at. All you have accomplished by turning the gain up or down is changed the point of clipping of the signal going into the amp. Instead of say the clipping happening at volume level 30, it may happen at 40, or at 20. End result is that you have incorrectly set the gain and leave yourself wide open to start destroying speakers. Your test above is flawed as you have also left one variable out of the equation. Turn the volume dial back up until the overall volume level is the same as before you adjusted the gain and magically watch what happens to the output power of the amp, it will be exactly the same as before.

You are telling me that we take a 100w rms amp and set the gain properly we get 100 watts of non clipped signal at full output. Then we take the gain and turn it all the way down and get the exact same 100watts of non clipped output with the volume turned to full. I don't think so dude. Change the gain on the amp changes the point of clipping, not the amps ability to make power as rated. Change the load on the amp and then you change the output power of the amp.

Turning the gain way down on a amp does not make it any safer to over / underpower a speaker. Again all it does is change the point of clipping. Always set the gain properly to the input voltage of the cd player. It is not a volume control as some people still seem to treat it as.

You are telling me that we take a 100w rms amp and set the gain properly we get 100 watts of non clipped signal at full output. Then we take the gain and turn it all the way down and get the exact same 100watts of non clipped output with the volume turned to full.
HAHAHAHAHA NO "dude" I NEVER said that.... Im my examples, we NEVER touched the volume control. The volume control is left constant at some nominal amount. Lets rewind here....

You said "turning the gain down does not make the amp put out less power"

I said "yes it does" aka, turning the gain down DOES make the amp produce less power (when the volume control is left alone, CONSTANT (we never touched the fucking volume knob!), like my examples above).... apparantly you have VERY poor reading skills and are arguing something totally different.

jesus man... read my posts again... slower... perhaps multiple times...

thanks again for all your help guys. as soon as i get the install done i will let you guys know how these subs sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.