Jl audio bass knob making radio lose reception

Participant count
  • Participant list

Seantexana74

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
Just curious could the jl audio bass knob make u lose radio reception. I unplugged it and used the bass knob for my lineout converter instead and my radio started working porperly. Has anyone else ever heard of this happing and why?

Just curious could the jl audio bass knob make u lose radio reception. I unplugged it and used the bass knob for my lineout converter instead and my radio started working porperly. Has anyone else ever heard of this happing and why?

Usually you lose radio reception after an install because the amp power cable runs along the same side as the radio wire. The radio wire needs a clean path to the head unit because the signals it picks up are so small. I don't think that bass boost would affect the feedback from the wire, but an adjustment in the general power of the amp would. The proper fix would be to run the power cable on the other side of the car, but I completely understand why you might not want to just for getting the radio.

Usually you lose radio reception after an install because the amp power cable runs along the same side as the radio wire. The radio wire needs a clean path to the head unit because the signals it picks up are so small. I don't think that bass boost would affect the feedback from the wire, but an adjustment in the general power of the amp would. The proper fix would be to run the power cable on the other side of the car, but I completely understand why you might not want to just for getting the radio.
Thanks for the input, the power cable is actually right in my trunk along with the battery, i have no wires running to the front of my vehicle except the bass knob control. The knob i plug directly into the amp is the one that made me lose reception. The knob that i plugged into the lineout converter works fine with the radio. So i unpluged the knob from the amp.

Thanks for the input, the power cable is actually right in my trunk along with the battery, i have no wires running to the front of my vehicle except the bass knob control. The knob i plug directly into the amp is the one that made me lose reception. The knob that i plugged into the lineout converter works fine with the radio. So i unpluged the knob from the amp.
In that case you may want to move the cable, if it's coiled that makes the feedback much worse and if it's anywhere near the radio antenna that will make a big difference. Try playing the radio while moving the cable slack around, you'll probably notice the interference fades in and out as you get closer to the module or cable running from it.

This is assuming your radio antenna is located at the rear of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.