JL Audio 13W7: Sealed or Ported?

trust me, it (being my ported box) was done correctly.....
i like the sealed sound and the ported sound off this sub, i'll soon write a comparison review....

those that have heard my 13w7 setup say its one of the best as far as being clean and loud
Well, what size box and tuning was your enclosure? Why is it that you are the only one who claims sealed is better, whereas the others say ported w7's sound nicer? I'm just wondering, not trying to be rude.

I own a 13w7 ported...and it's hella nice.

trust me, it (being my ported box) was done correctly.....
i like the sealed sound and the ported sound off this sub, i'll soon write a comparison review....

those that have heard my 13w7 setup say its one of the best as far as being clean and loud
How loud is your w7? and, what are the specs of the box it's in now?

Well, what size box and tuning was your enclosure? Why is it that you are the only one who claims sealed is better, whereas the others say ported w7's sound nicer? I'm just wondering, not trying to be rude.I own a 13w7 ported...and it's hella nice.

i said i like both but i like the ported sound better as far as being more crisp. it is not as loud but remember i'm in a hatch back so its not gonna make that much of a difference as far as loudness goin from ported in a sedan to sealed in a hatch

While I was at good guys this morning, one of the guys that worked there offered to let me listen to his system. When he asked me what kind of sub i wasn going to get, I told him that i am saving up for a brahma in a small sealed box. He then said " I heard that they were hella tite, but have you heard a w7 yet? they are better" I then said that I couldnt afford a W7 and i told him I read that W7's arent worth it if its in a small sealed box. He then replied with "whoever told you that was wrong, thats insane, sealed boxes have better sound quality"

I was then hella stoked because i thought to myself, heres a chance for me to actually listen to a real W7 in a real car. So i then walked out to his car, he opened the trunk of his mustang and I saw two ten inch W7's in a sealed box facing up. They were hooked up to 1 JL 1000/1 and he had a 300/4 for his alpine 177a's. I was thinkin to myself, "holy ****!! this is gonna be crzy!" I thought that I was going finally hear my first real sound system that has great sq!

He then let me sit in the driver's seat while he was controlling the headunit. When he turn on the music, I just sat there.....I was thinkin to myself...ok...is this it? He was telling me about how they are hella accurate and stuff and its tuned to everyday driving so when he turned up the bass(which was something he normally didnt do) it sounded kinda messy. I then just pretended to be amazed and just sat there until he was done showing me...

After I was done, I was thinkin to myself, "this guy has over $2000 worth of equipment to have it sound like this?" I can get the same sound from just my single ED 13kv'2 (I recieved it this morning and put it into a 1 c.f sealed enclosure) I didnt really notice anything special about his system.

I was very dissapointed because I know that they can sound 10X's better with the equipment that he had...over 2k worth of equipment and it didnt even sound special....maybe i was expecting too much? I dont know...

Im just a newb....I never really read any great reviews of w7's in a sealed box and when I finally did get the chance to listen to one, I was dissapointed. Hopefully I get to hear one in a ported box one day because those are the only positives reviews I see with the w7.

I'm sorry if this post if hard to understand....Its 4 in the morning...And I have a 5 page reportthats due at 9 a.m. Just took a break from my report to give my input....

i retrieve my statment, a single w7 will not perform good in a sealed box. never EVER go sealed with this sub!!!!!!!! i know from experience aftering having both sealed build to specs and ported build to specs sealed a very VERY BAD..... you might as well purchase 2 alpine type s 10s

i am a jl dealer and the w7 line is one, if not the best sould quality woofer out on the market today. I perfer ported for these woofers because they are power hungry. one 13w7 will blow your head off, set up right. you need to mount that woofer in a 1 inch baffle plate. other wise you will flex the box. I do question a amp ran at .75 ohms. that is very low and i think you will get very limited playing time. you would be better off getting a amp that puts its power out at 4ohms and run the sub in series at 3ohms. dont forget running a 1000watt amp ruffly drawns 100+ amps from your car. Most amps are unregulated power supplies and will only give out there power when they see good power. I think for the money you are better off with a single 13w6 ported with a jl 500/1 and you would love it and save a ton of money. soundfxny.com

i am a jl dealer and the w7 line is one, if not the best sould quality woofer out on the market today. I perfer ported for these woofers because they are power hungry. one 13w7 will blow your head off, set up right. you need to mount that woofer in a 1 inch baffle plate. other wise you will flex the box. I do question a amp ran at .75 ohms. that is very low and i think you will get very limited playing time. you would be better off getting a amp that puts its power out at 4ohms and run the sub in series at 3ohms. dont forget running a 1000watt amp ruffly drawns 100+ amps from your car. Most amps are unregulated power supplies and will only give out there power when they see good power. I think for the money you are better off with a single 13w6 ported with a jl 500/1 and you would love it and save a ton of money. soundfxny.com

You say this because you're a dealer...of course your opinion will be biased...DUH! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

i retrieve my statment, a single w7 will not perform good in a sealed box. never EVER go sealed with this sub!!!!!!!! i know from experience aftering having both sealed build to specs and ported build to specs sealed a very VERY BAD..... you might as well purchase 2 alpine type s 10s
I told you that before, but at the time you basically told me I was an idiot. Turns out I was right after all, ey //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

i am also a image dynamics dealer, rockford, mb quarts, diamond audio, massive audio,MTX, blau, ecliplse, I had many to choose from. i am telling you from my 23 yrs exspieriance what i think of that sub. take it or leave it. i am very open mined on equipment because there is so much good stuff out there. Some of you guys should learn how to voice your opinions alittle better. You should show a little repect for a guy who has been an installer , owner for 23yrs

You should show a little repect for a guy who has been an installer , owner for 23yrs
Sorry, but you need to earn your respect round here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif It's not just handed to you.

I agree that it's better to go with an amp that will do your desired power at 3ohm, but there aren't many of those. A decent number of amps are stable below 1ohm, but there is still concern about overheating with those.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.