JL amps

fu-man-chu
10+ year member

I havent seen many posts about JL amps whats the deal ive heard they are sick amps and are WAY underrated, Are they a good/bad investment? Im not just talking about the class D either, what about the 4 channel models good/bad?

Thanks for the info

JL amps are definitly hot ****, I have seen them in action, along with JL subs. They are like MTX, underrated with lots of bells and whistles. JL has lots of good technology incorporated into their amps and subs, so I would say that JL is a safe bet for Bass!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

They are very clean well put together amps, I would say that my jl 500/1 hits almost as hard as the MTX 8100D that is 1000 watts. They sound nice too, the JL 300/4 and 300/2 are also very nice and good sounding. But the RIPS circuit that makes so they will put out the same wattage over 1.5 ohms to 4 ohms is not a good thing in my opinion because the 500/1 is in the 500 watt class no matter what because it can run 500 watts at 4 ohms. Well I could take a nice ppi amp that is rated at 500 watts at 4 ohms but really runs at 1000 watts at 2 ohms and kick its ass in competition, Plus if you haveing the JL amp running at low levels the circuit run the amp pretty hot, crank it and its allright but the circit does something weird at low volumes that makes it run at 1.5 ohms untill you demand more from it. yea I still love JL thou. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have a JL 300/4 amp powering my MB Quart speakers and a 250/1 powering 2 8 inch subs. These amps put out about 85 watts per channel for the 300/4 and about 320 watts for the 250/1. One main reason that I love them is because they supply the same wattage from 11v to 14.4v, most amps rate their watts at 14.4v which is virtually impossible to obtain all the time, most cars run at 13.8 or less, so you only get 75% wattge or so from thoose amps. The JL produces the ratted wattage over a wide range of volts, producing the same watts even after a big bass hit when the car's voltage will drop.

I believe Manville Smith of JL audio has said JL typically tries to rate thier amps pretty close to actual output. I'm sure there are variances either way, but I don't believe JL's are drastically under-rated. It's pretty much been established though that JL has some of the best amps on the market when you factor in price, performance, versatility, durability and longevity.

The new class D line is sort of the next generation of amps in that they maintain their power not only at different voltages, but also at different resistances. The 500/1 for example is rated for 500 watts at 1.5 ohm, but it will also put out 500 watts at 4 ohms. If you take the comparable RF bd500.1 which is rated for 500 watts at 2 ohms, it will only put out 300 at 4 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.