JL 500/1v2 and JL 12w6 - no power to amp suddenly

J30

SoCal
I'll try to be as descriptive as possible here so we can get this resolved and I appreciate any help beforehand.

I have a Sony HU with 2 sets of RCA inputs in the back and there is a remote wire in the harness.

I purchased a Knuconcepts 4 gauge wiring kit that had the RCA cables attached to the remote line.

Sanded down the frame in the back and got a nice grounding spot for the negative amp wire.

The install went well. The sub worked but wasn't impressive. So today I looked at actually changing some of the many settings on the back of the amp and the input sensitivity screw really woke up this system and was LOUD. I had that cranked up and the db cranked up as well and it still sounded pretty clean. So I went for a drive to listen to the system and was planning on periodically stopping to tune it.

Well I realized it cut out once or twice and then it wouldn't come back on at all, which is where I am at now. I double prepped the ground contact point and reset all of the amp settings back to zero basically and messed with the signal sensing switch (on/off). Still no juice. I am getting 12.5 volts from the positive and negative 4 gauge wires right before the amp.

I read elsewhere to put a piece of wire from the positive input over to the remote input on the amp and see if the light comes on. Well, it does. The green light comes on solid for a few seconds and then it will blink. Also, when doing this little wire trick, it changes the sound of the rest of the speakers momentarily. What is the significance of this?

I also opened up the amp and didn't see anything noticeably ruined although I didn't check the mosfet's under the shield, which I may tomorrow.

I bought the sub and the amp new a few years back and have never messed with the settings until installing it in my new car today. It was raining today if that matters, but obviously the windows were shut.

For personal reference, from another forum:

I assume the signal sensing switch you are talking about is the remote turn on for the amp. The amp should turn on when you turn your radio on, not your truck.

First try disconnecting the remote turn on that comes from your radio. After that is removed turn your radio on and them run a jumper wire from the positive voltage terminal of the amp ( the main power input) to the remote turn on terminal of the amp. If the amp turns on and you hear music, you have a problem with the remote turn on from the radio. If the amp turns on but you hear no music you have a problem with the audio input of the amp or the wiring of the speakers. if the amp does not turn on you have a problem with the amp.

I think you may have a problem with the remote turn on output of your radio. if so, you need to get the radio looked at by a service technician.

If the amp is turning on sometimes, you may just have a loose wire or faulty ground. Double check all the wiring.

I followed the above advice. I disconnected the remote wire from the hu and attached a wire from the positive input of the amp to the remote input of the amp. Nothing happened, no lights came on. Next, I did the same thing except this time I had the remote wire from the hu attached to the remote wire going to the amp. This time I got the blinking green light again.

Sounds like you did some damage to your amp by overdriving/clipping your amp. Never use the gain as a volume knob and don't use the bass boost. Your best bet is to send it in to jl and eat the high repair cost or send out to a trusted amp tech.... or buy a new amp. Sounds like she is done

It works and was a combination of the fuse on the battery and the signal sensing.

I checked the fuse before. I put my voltmeter on the positive amp wire coming right off the battery terminal and it read 12.5 as it should. Then after the fuse it also read 12.5. So I ruled the fuse out. For some reason, I checked the voltage before and after the fuse again the next day and it said zero after the fuse. So i put in a new 80A fuse and it worked! For some reason, sometimes the amp is working with signal sensing on and sometimes with off. But things seem stable right now. I left the input sens relatively low and the rest of the settings low or off and the bass boost definitely off. So I guess what happened was just a blown fuse in the end.

So to anyone else who has this happen, just change the fuse even if it looks intact and reads the correct voltage because aside from making the ground better I didn't do anything else differently. Thanks everyone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.