JL 13TW5v2 lacks low frequency output

Participant count
  • Participant list

masterhoss56

Hello everyone. I wanted to pick your brain to see if you had any thoughts (or confirm) issues I'm having with a brand new JL 13TW5v2 (that is loaded in a JL Stealthbox for a 2008 Toyota Sequoia). I'm getting great bass down to something in the mid-30Hz range. Anything below that range and I get this odd sound. Hard for me to describe--not a bottoming out. It basically sounds like my sub is telling me, "I can't hit this low so I'm just going to make this weak sound instead".

I'm running a new JL XD 600/1 and the amp is set to JL's recommendations for this combination of sub, box, and amp (from Stealthbox install guide).

Last time I had a sub, I was in an Explorer and ran an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 with both an MTX 300W amp and then an Alpine 500W amp. I know the Kappa Perfect is supposed to hit lower than my current JL 13TW5v2, but I'm pretty sure my current JL isn't hitting anything lower than the 30-ish Hz frequency range.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks for the help everyone.

You need to look at a custom box if you are trying to get more out of those slims. The JL boxes are very good for a premade solution that fits a car perfectly, but you can do better. I remember the local JL shop saying they put all the slims in larger than JL recommended ported boxes and they sounded night and day different. This also brings up the issue of how much space are you willing to give up to get more low end. That is the trade off with the JL boxes, they do very well for the space they take up.

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to keep it in tight spaces under the cargo deck that the Stealthbox was designed to sit in. I guess I just have to live with the limited lows. Thanks again.

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to keep it in tight spaces under the cargo deck that the Stealthbox was designed to sit in. I guess I just have to live with the limited lows. Thanks again.
My friend has a R32 and wanted little more bass without doing a huge box. He did DD6.5 woofers in small boxes where the factory ones came out of. Bout .30 or so. he is not happy with the total output. Shop told him a custom box would be so much better. Sometimes you have to use a little space. He also is just fine with what he has now compared to before.

Thanks for the note. I was excited--ignorant thinking to myself that the Stealthbox was some sort of magical solution that sacrifice no performance while losing no cargo space. With the 2008+ model year Sequoia, JL designed the Stealthbox to sit under a hidden storage tray. The factory sub is still in the rear panel. I did make sure there wasn't some sort of odd cancellation happening by disabling the factory amp and the factory sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.