jl 1000/1 shuts off?

Participant count
  • Participant list

thompson
10+ year member

Stockton
I recently purchased a Jl 1000/1 amp and it shuts off. I have it on 2 12w6 giving the amp a 4 ohm load. I have a yellow top optima under the hood and kinetik hc800 in the trunk. I use 2 awg power wiring and 10 awg for sub wires. My aternator is stock 85 amp with extra 4 awg wire to battery and from battery negative to gound. Alright, heres what goes on with the amp. After listening for 10 min at half the amps power and maybe 3 min at full power, the amp reduces its output by about half. After 2 mins of that the bass shuts off for about 5 min then comes back on. It does this alot. Is this normal? Why does it do this and what can I do to fix it? Any suggestions would be great. Oh yeah, I have more info. I was using a old school RF1500bd amp before this amp and had same problem. Shuts off after 10-15 mins of med to high bass level of listening.

Since no one else responded, I'll do what I can.

1. I assume the amp is connected to the battery in the trunk? If so what gauge of wire was used to wire it to the alternator?

2. When you say "the bass shuts off" Are you saying the amp shuts off or goes into protection mode, or that the subs simply stop working?

3. Do you own a multi-meter? Have you tested to see what voltage is reaching the amp when it shuts off?

The fact that your old amp did the same thing and also the fact that the amp first losses some of it's output before shutting off makes me think that you've either got a wiring problem (bad ground, etc) or that your alternator might not be able to keep up with the power demand and so it works fine for awhile, but it eventually starts running off the battery, and then after the battery is drained, it has to wait for it to be recharged before working again.

And no that's not normal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It requires atleast 4 gauge it really wants bigger. If you are using super cheap and ****** 2 gauge that could be your problem aka if the jacket is as thick as the copper.

Alright. Thanks for the suggestions. I now know what's wrong. I was being an ediot and not paying attention to the indicator lights on the amp. The Low voltage light lights up when the problem occurs. Turns out I need to upgradde my alternator.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.