jensen "road gear" or something more reputable?

abbas

hello everyone. new to this forum & site. looks like a more down to earth site where it isn't despicable to consider buying average consumer gear from the likes of best buy and friends. before asking my question, here's some background research...

i have been looking to minimally upgrade my stock system finally and want to keep a tape player. the ONLY cd/cassette head unit that will fit my jeep is a $250 unit by jensen, and i didn't like the sound much. next solution is keep using my discman w/a cassette head unit, except get one with aux input, cause i figure the sound will otherwise still be limited by the tape adapter i use now. this brought me to a number of decks by sony, pioneer, jvc, etc, all within the $120 range. i'm also set on a pair of Sony VS1630 (front) and VS1620 (rear) speakers which will run about $180 total, and i have an old alpine 30x4 amp. total cost: $300.

i was pretty ready to go with this setup when i discovered a "Road Gear" tape deck by Jensen hanging on the shelf in a plastic package (at best buy). It costs $30, looks like a tonka toy mid 1970's or 80's stock unit with 2 large knobs, one for volume, one to control the analog tuner, has a pre amp output and an aux input right next to the tape input. Considering I hardly listen to radio (NPR if anything), this thing seems to fulfill all my original needs with very little financial commitment. I am almost ready to buy it, along with two pair of Pioneer TS-G1647 speakers for $50 a pair (rated 30 W), putting me at a total of $130 instead of $300 above.

My only question is will this unit give me outright dreadful performance even if hooked up to an external amp and completely waste the $30, or does this $30 in fact cover the basic essentials quite well? the unit isn't detachable of course, but that wouldn't worry me much.

I know it's probably a lot more bother than worth with these figures in mind, but I am guessing even the $130 upgrade is better than the stock system. A guy at Tweeter Audio offered me the Sony tape/CD changer/discman package for $220 as they're trying to get rid of them, but I have never liked CD changers. if i was going to sink real money into this, i'd be looking at navigation systems, satellite radio, a way to attach my PC to head unit LCD screens and voice activated input so i could do homework more easily on the way to school.

thanks for reading and any suggestions!

Abbas

That is not true. Alpine, Sony, Panasonic, Jensen and a few others make a few different models in that size. The only problem is that you have to go to a dealer to see them. Best Nuy is good for certain things and Car Audio is not it. They are way over priced on the stuff they sell that is worth buying and the stuff that is affordable is junk.

Do yourself a favor and check out a Car Audio Shop in your area they will be able to show you good units at an affordable Price.

BTW! You don't have to get a Head Unit that will fill the entire Slot. There are kits available that will allow you to use single din sized Head Unit. That way you can alway upgrade in the futre with a 1/2 din or Full din EQ if your music listen experience gets to that of most of us Car Audio Nuts. E-mail me and I will show you a pick of my car with a Single din Head Unit and 1/2 Din EQ. It looks sweet and you get a tremendous Sound quality improvement and versatility in the future! Plus, much, much more to choose from.

thanks for the suggestion on checking out dealers. got an update on the whole search - I checked a lot of places online & found two more Jensen units in 1.5 DIN size, the CM715K and CM7015K, plus two Sanyo 1 DIN size units, FXCD500 and FXCD 1100 (as well as a couple units by Sanyo's company Excedio). I'm about set on the FXCD 500 and also thought about the 1/2 DIN eq...how much of a difference would that really make? I'm kinda worried about the sound from the Sanyo, but if I'm running through the power amp it should be fine, right?

And yeah, not doing best buy. the local car audio place I bought my last system at said alpine & others don't make any more combo units, or at least they couldn't get them.

i'm still pretty set on the Sony speakers, however the online searches opened a new can of worms. many places still have last year's models, the 1631 and 1621's and there's a 1635m floating around - prices are lower everywhere & seem to be the same speakers. but then i read most companies do not authorize internet sales and warranties are void if purchased online (http://www.mmxpress.com).

I had a whole response typed out when my PC locked up! So I will give the brief recap!

I would stay away from Sanyo and all the other junk co. you will not be happy I promise you!. Spend the money and get a Quality unit!

I recommend the Alpine CDA line of tape decks with the 1/2 din EQ Clarion EQS560 with a 6 disc or 12 disc changer ! Or the Clarion DXZ line. There is the 615,715,815. I have the older model DRX 7675 and love it with the the 6 or 12 disc changer & EQS560. My Bro has the Alpine unit and I think I might just either get that one or the Clarion DXZ815 just to complete my Dash Custom Blue look.

Both Head Units with that EQ and the matching changer will make you smile. So it just depends on what features you are looking for & the look of the unit you like better!

Check out ebay for all 3 components you are looking at $65 fo rthe EQ, $200 to $300 for the Head Unit and $150 to $250 for the Changer. Total of $650 at the most( I will bet closer to $500 give or take) For Everything. But you will have a better looking, Sounding, Performing and long lasting system that you can upgrade with Digital Radio service, TV's, DVD, GAme Systems, additional CD Changers, and Amps for a totally MINT SYSTEM That will impress all! Not quite sure what your looking to spend but, I know that the Double Din Units can get expensive and they ****!!(Pardon Me).

Check Ebay you will get a nice deal. I did. Me and a Friend just go that exact EQ and I got my Brother the Alpine CDA 7875 Head Unit.

Keep me posted I'm curious as to what you decide to do. When I get my digital Camera Back I will post a pick of my install.

i am weary on the Sanyo, but that's the thing, i have never liked changers, even at home. there's little chance i can get a setup in front somehow, plus i move cd's in & out of the car constantly. i figure if my alpine amp will drive the sanyo, all i need are the in dash controls. of course i prefer the alpines with the BBE built in and such...but price is the issue at the moment - i'm trying to keep the whole set up, HU + speakers for under $500. my bro is using an aiwa HU & my old kenwood 6x9's in rear, w/no amp...sounds great for what i'd need at the moment.

if your not a Fanatic then you wouldn't here the difference Nayway unless you put them Side by side. Which I did do. I'm a Fanatic cause I spend all my timem in the Car aas I trael all day long for work. The Changer is probably the coolest thing. I was the same way but, once you get one it is Awsome. But, I also have the in dash CD so I can switch whenever. I put my 12 favorite in stick it on shuffle and it just keeps playing. Then if I want I can just pop in something in the Dash if Iwant a change. So I here where your coming from. The other cool thing with teh new Changers is that you can make your own CD's and have Crazy varity. Make 12 CD-r's with your favorite tunes get about 20 songs on each dics and pop it on Shuffel and listen for months and never here the same thiong twice. I luv it.

I understand the saving a buck to been there done that. Teh only thing is, is that you rreally don't because you will either not be happy with your purchase becasue you know that something is better or it will crap due to lack of Quality.

Just keep it in mind thats all. I just hope I opened your mind to look into other better equipment.

Just out of curiosity, what is there not to like about cd changers? They are so much more convienient than tapes are (imo)! You don't have to fast forward or reverse to a song, you just hit the track # and you're good to go. I always said i wouldn't give up my tape deck for cd's. I had to have a cd changer AND a tape deck. Now i could care less about tapes. They are bulky and take too long to find what i want to hear. You could get a very decent setup for about 500.00 that you would be alot more happy with than just a Sanyo deck or some Sony speakers. There are some nice hu's for around 150.00, low end amps for about 150.00, nice subs for about 150-200.00 and if you needed or wanted co-axials or seperates, they wouldn't set you back to far either. Think about it a little bit more and make sure you don't just throw your money away on a head unit in a plastic cover hanging on a rack at a store. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

i'm not sure what it is...i think it has to do with listening style. i had a cd changer over a decade ago...but i never know what i feel like listening to until i'm going to listen to it, and i also almost always listen to entire albums at a time (that's why the tapes still linger). but that's not as much a deal as where to mount the changer - if i can't do it in front somewhere, it's useless precisely cause i don't know what i'm going to put in. however...based on this discussion i'll look into a good setup & see if i can get it mounted in front.

FYI, my old system was kenwood in dash, kenwood speakers & the alpine 30x4 amp...it kicked ass and i was very happy. i have been an audiophile since the 7th grade, used to collect and test different blank tapes (remember denon DX4, tdk sa-xg & ma-xg, triad, teac..?), sold all my nintendo games to buy an Aiwa ADX-808 deck (but always wanted a nakamichi RX-505)...and miss the days of my Sony D-66 discman + MDR-54 headphones...that was LOUD, like a radio almost. nowadays discmans are pure crap...it was fun being an audio geek, and i've _always_ avoided low end stuff because of it. i stopped paying attention long ago cause i couldn't afford the stuff (and because i moved into musical equipment instead) and it's funny, i'm getting my own advice back from others now to spend the extra & get something i will be happy with later...same advice i employed on this new drum kit i'm paying off.

i think what i may do is put the old kenwood back in & see how it goes w/o the tapes again for a while - who knows, you're probably right in that i won't miss them so much anymore. otherwise, i can get a good feel for whether i wanna go for tape + changer setup.

trust me sport the tapes will fade once you put, in the CD player or Changer.

As far as the changer goes. You can see if it will fi in the glove box, center console or under the Passenger seat

What kind of vehicle do you drive? That would give a little more for people to try and help you with when it comes to putting a cd changer in. You could maybe even fabricate a cd changer housing depending on how your car is set up.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

doh...thought i mentioned that. Jeep Grand Cherokee 1998. There's chance I can mount in front in the glove or under a seat, or possibly shove it in the compartment between the front seats.

at the moment if i'm just gonna be using that kenwood, then i'll shove extra $$ into the speakers right now (started a thread in speakers).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.