JBL P660C vs Polk MM6501 4x45w RMS amp

bhom920

NJ
Hi everyone,

So i'm about to upgrade the base audio system in my 2015 Volvo xc60 R-design and im at a road block on choosing these two speakers. So the volvo has a very complicated stock amp on the MOST network which mean's im stuck leaving it in. Its a 4x10w RMS amp which i already bought a Alpine KTP-445U to piggyback off it which will give me 4x45W RMS. With that said i've been reading up a lot about how great the Polk MM6501 speakers are, but i'm worried that i won't get their full potential from the amount of power i will have, so I've been considering the JBL P660C which also seem to be fantastic. Both are 2ohm speakers which i would prefer. The JBL P660C are significantly cheaper which is helpful, but I wouldn't want to miss out on the MM6501s. I listen to a range of music from pop, rap, electronic/dance, classical, and jazz. Has anyone owned or had experience both speakers? Also the car does not have a sub, nor do i plan on installing one. I am very happy with the bass output on the current stereo, but the midbass and treble is terrible. To give you a rough idea on how well the doors are deadened, i installed a sound ordnance slim 8" sub and i couldn't hear it or feel it over the stock speakers, so eventually it was removed. Volvo did a great job on the doors. Thanks

The P660c has decent midbass. If your amp isnt active capable the included crossover doesn't allow for biamping, so you will be starving them for power a bit at 45 W per side. I would return the rear fill if possible. The only time I would have rear fill would be if I planned on having passengers daily. I havent ever heard the polks, so can't comment on them.

The P660C set has issues with mid bass at rated power.

It distorts at high volumes. You will have to cross the mid bass at 160hz or near

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

The P660C set has issues with mid bass at rated power.
It distorts at high volumes. You will have to cross the mid bass at 160hz or near

That's interesting because I haven't had that problem....had each midbass on a seperate channel of an Alpine PDX F4 for months and before that had close to rated going to each side through the supplied crossover with no issues...Maybe it's the install that's the problem and not the driver? *shrug*

That's interesting because I haven't had that problem....had each midbass on a seperate channel of an Alpine PDX F4 for months and before that had close to rated going to each side through the supplied crossover with no issues...Maybe it's the install that's the problem and not the driver? *shrug*
The supplied xovers cross at 145hz for mid bass.

I ran them active.

The supplied xovers cross at 145hz for mid bass.
I ran them active.

Were the doors treated? And you sure about the crossover point on the supplied xover? I don't use supplied xovers unless I'm in a bind, but if it is a bandbass xover circuit for the mid I would be genuinely surprised. It makes much more economical sense to have a HP circuit for the tweet and a LP circuit for the Mid. If I think about it I'll hunt down the xovers and see what's going on.

Were the doors treated? And you sure about the crossover point on the supplied xover? I don't use supplied xovers unless I'm in a bind, but if it is a bandbass xover circuit for the mid I would be genuinely surprised. It makes much more economical sense to have a HP circuit for the tweet and a LP circuit for the Mid. If I think about it I'll hunt down the xovers and see what's going on.
Completely deadened, mlv, etc.. Even had custom wooden speaker mounts.

Its known issue the p660c sets have bass issues.

i dont know a whole lot of passive crossovers with a highpass for the midrange driver. generally amps and headunits have preouts or crossovers with the signal highpassed already so i guess they dont bother including them

Completely deadened, mlv, etc.. Even had custom wooden speaker mounts.
Its known issue the p660c sets have bass issues.

Weird. maybe all the stars aligned for my setup. *shrug* I have't looked too much into them since i bought them quite a while ago, but I don't recall hearing or reading anything about bass issues until your post that's why I'm curious. Not knocking you, but I actually thought the midbass response was decent if not even a tad heavy before they got tuned in. Of course I very well could be deaf. All those teenage years of abusing my ears could have paid its toll. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.