JBL MS-62C mid

TyWilliams
10+ year member

Could I use the mid from the MS-62C as a midrange in a 3-way? It would have to be able to play cleanly up to 5k, Anybody know if this mid can do that? I remember reading somewhere that the x/o that comes with the set crosses it at 2.5K hz. So I wasn't sure if the mid could play that high.

Without knowing anything other than it's a 6.5", I doubt it will play cleanly that high. You're better off getting a 3" or 4" midrange if you're going 3 way anyway.

In a 3-way speaker system, you may want to consider a smaller diameter mid. First, since it will not be playing much bass, the cone area is not as important. However, smaller diameter mids have better off-axis dispersion at higher frequencies. I don't know about fiber/glass wofers (which is the material JBL MS is made of), but woofers made from processed paper are often associated with extended high frequency response. I would recommend to pick up a pair of Hybrid Audio Imagine I51-2. In fact, the set also comes with nice tweeters too (but they don't play well below 5KHz). This set costs $300 new, but you can find lightly used for under $200. I think Focal Polyglass speakers (the 5-1/2 versions) would work well for this application too. Again, they usually cost more than your budget, but you could find good deals locally from dealers or used.

In a 3-way speaker system, you may want to consider a smaller diameter mid. First, since it will not be playing much bass, the cone area is not as important. However, smaller diameter mids have better off-axis dispersion at higher frequencies. I don't know about fiber/glass wofers (which is the material JBL MS is made of), but woofers made from processed paper are often associated with extended high frequency response. I would recommend to pick up a pair of Hybrid Audio Imagine I51-2. In fact, the set also comes with nice tweeters too (but they don't play well below 5KHz). This set costs $300 new, but you can find lightly used for under $200. I think Focal Polyglass speakers (the 5-1/2 versions) would work well for this application too. Again, they usually cost more than your budget, but you could find good deals locally from dealers or used.
Meggh pretty over priced... OP look up Madisound for some good individual drivers...

I would look into a 3"-4" midrange driver, no larger than 4". This is not only because the frequency response is just perfect for midrange use, but because the smaller diameter cone will start beaming long after the 6.5" mid is beaming. This means it's a lot more forgiving for how you aim the speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.