jbl 1200.1 or 500/1 jl audio

From what I've read/heard, the jbp amps are cheap (but pretty good) power. While that JL amp isn't as powerful but a much nicer amp.

well... although many would probobly argue me on this, the JL can be a more powerfull amp in some situations. The JL does 500x1 rms at *0.05* distortion at 1.5-4 ohms while the JBL does 600x1 at *0.1* at 4 ohms and 1200x1 at *0.1* distortion if your running 2 ohm... sooo if your in the 3-4 ohm range i would argue that the JL will be more/cleaner power. Everyone seems to think that harmonic distortion doesn't matter in the world of car audio for some reason because you "cant hear it". Well, the fact is, if an amp is rated at 500 watt per channel rms at 0.05 distortion and another is rated at 500 watt per channel at 0.1 distortion, what do you think the rating would be on that amp that does 500 watt at 0.05 when its pushed up to 0.1? If JL was to rate the wattage the same way as the JBL amp it would be much more. All in all, keep your JL amp. Its stronger then what meets the eye and has more features.

i have to agree with adamS, you can go to etronics.com and get the 1200.1 for $289, and i've never found the 500/1 under $400

You can't judge something by the price...well in this case you kinda can but not usually. If you want 1200+ watts then trade, otherwise stick w/ your amp.

PS - if anyone can tell the difference b/w 0.05% distortion and 0.1% distortion lemme know, ill send you a cookie

PSS - If you think a j/l 500 is gonna put out 1kW b/c the harmonic distortion goes up, lemme know that too and I'll kick ya in the balls

well... like i said im sure people will argue me, but if you can honestly tell me that an amp wont put out more watts at a higher distortion level then your mistaken. Its like those mini systems at circuit city that say 1000 WATTS in big letters... then u look at the manual and its at 0.5 percent distortion.... now i garuntee you my "little" 75 watt per channel reciever at home can bury that "1000 watt" system by about 10 times.

lol...... its not how much power is put out....... its a question of HOW U MEASURE the power that it puts out. Wattage can be measured in many ways is all im saying and JL is very conservitive on their ratings.

you said that the jl could put out just as much as the jbl, but now you say jl has conservative ratings...conservative by 700 watts? jbl also is underrated but only by 100-150 watts in most cases. You can't just turn the harmonic distortion up on an amp and get more power. if you've ever seen an amp, then you'll notice there is no "Harmonic Distortion" knob anywhere. Wattage is a form of measurement, there is no other way to measure it other than in watts. The fact is, the jbl is more powerful than the jl.

trade for a week, see if you want to or not. that will be the best way.

as for the power of the JL, the RMS ratings are correct and max power @1.5Ohms is like 750W. so no, it can't give as much power as the JBL.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.