I've created a monster...

I am LOVING the look/specs of the SSA gcon, it says for sealed it will work in .5-1cu as well, but optimal at 1-1.25. I could find a 1-1.25 sealed box that would fit where I need it I'm sure, I would just have to take it out more often than the smaller one. I think the Crescendo Symphony 600.1 would work well with the 4ohm DVC Gcon, or would I need something with more power? For warranty reasons I need to stay with stock electrical, so with a 650watt RMS amp for the sub and a 4-500watt rms amp on the rest of the speakers I'm not sure I could go higher.

Also to Tim's point above, I do have to take support into consideration and having a local vendor is best. However, I could also get the sub and the amp to run it for not much more then what just the sub would cost with the JL. Lots to think about.

Like some has said, buying JL used, is a good buy. 12w6v2 $150, hd900/5 $500, these are the prices for used equipment in these neck of the woods.

If your set on getting new equipment, you might also want to look into the Incriminator Flatlyne or Stereo Integrity MK IV shallow mount and Alpine PDX-v9 amp, if space is a big factor.

I ordered a 1.2 sealed box, so now I have the option of the .55 or the 1.2. Either will be temporary as my awesome talented father agreed to help me do a fiberglass box in the spare tire area in the trunk, but that probably won't be until next winter when his work slows down, he is just starting his busy season (carpenter/contractor). I am really leaning toward the gcon, simply because of great reviews, looks and to try something different. I have always been a big brand guy when it comes to car stereo stuff, mostly because all I had available locally was either name brand expensive good stuff or sh*tty off brand. I admittingly always thought all the people I saw touting some of these brands you guys are recommending had no clue what they were talking about, turns out I didn't know what I was talking about lol. I want to step outside my comfort zone.

Gcon will work okay in a sealed box, but definitely gives the wow factor when going ported. However with your space issues, i dont see that happening unless you go with an 8 inch subwoofer. You can buy polyfill stuffing from walmart to help with the enclosure size. remember if it lists 1.2 cubic feet, you have to subtract how much space your subwoofer takes up too. You'll be more around 1.05 cubic feet, that polyfill should help make some of that up try to get in Half a lb for 1 cube sealed box.

Gcon will work okay in a sealed box, but definitely gives the wow factor when going ported. However with your space issues, i dont see that happening unless you go with an 8 inch subwoofer. You can buy polyfill stuffing from walmart to help with the enclosure size. remember if it lists 1.2 cubic feet, you have to subtract how much space your subwoofer takes up too. You'll be more around 1.05 cubic feet, that polyfill should help make some of that up try to get in Half a lb for 1 cube sealed box.
Thanks, will do. So when I go to make my spare tire trunk box, should I go with ported then? I believe I can get as much as 3.5 cubic feet from what other people have done with the 7th gen maximas. I am pretty sure I have just seen sealed with those, like the build I linked earlier in the thread. I know nothing about building boxes, so I will have to do some research on what kind of port I would use for that type of build.

Thanks, will do. So when I go to make my spare tire trunk box, should I go with ported then? I believe I can get as much as 3.5 cubic feet from what other people have done with the 7th gen maximas. I am pretty sure I have just seen sealed with those, like the build I linked earlier in the thread. I know nothing about building boxes, so I will have to do some research on what kind of port I would use for that type of build.
yes you should go ported, use winisd pro along with torres box calculator(google them up) both are free programs so you can design your enclosure and see how the sub will perform in the enclosure soundwise. Winisd tutorials are abundant on youtube and torres box calculator's tutorial is on its download page.

Thats why I was suggesting the shallow mount. With this, now your father can just wall off the the backseat or with a box that gonna only need probably 6" in depth or build a box around one of the side compart and wheel well. With this you can still have a spare tire. I like the spare tire box ideas that a lot of people go with. I just don't like the fact that you will now rely on run-flat tires (expensive) or carry fix-a-flat (I hate this stuff) everywhere.

Thats why I was suggesting the shallow mount. With this, now your father can just wall off the the backseat or with a box that gonna only need probably 6" in depth or build a box around one of the side compart and wheel well. With this way you can still have a spare tire. I like the spare tire box ideas that a lot of people go with. I just don't like the fact that you will now rely on drive-flat tires (expensive) or carry fix-a-flat (I hate this stuff) everywhere.
I have drive flat tires as well as free roadside assitance. I would never use a donut spare tire unless I was stuck somewhere with no cell service and didn't have run flat tires. However, I have also seen some custom side compartment wheel well boxes for my car that looked very nice. I will look into that as well.

yes you should go ported, use winisd pro along with torres box calculator(google them up) both are free programs so you can design your enclosure and see how the sub will perform in the enclosure soundwise. Winisd tutorials are abundant on youtube and torres box calculator's tutorial is on its download page.
Great, I will look them up!

Thats why I was suggesting the shallow mount. With this, now your father can just wall off the the backseat or with a box that gonna only need probably 6" in depth or build a box around one of the side compart and wheel well. With this you can still have a spare tire. I like the spare tire box ideas that a lot of people go with. I just don't like the fact that you will now rely on run-flat tires (expensive) or carry fix-a-flat (I hate this stuff) everywhere.
If thats the case, then your good in the hood. Roadside is the important one. Run flats are pretty much trash to me. I don't see them helping if your stranded more than 50 miles to where you can actually get it fixed. Especially in the middle of the night out in BFE.

tire patch kit and a air pump is mostly all you need to get to tire shop to replace your tires, most of the times a good patch will have the tire good as new. Spare tires are soooo 10 years ago.
See thats how long I haven't check on a new car. I bought both my truck and suv brand new 10 yrs ago, and back then, every car came with full size spares.

Plus a plug kit will do nothing for you, if you have complete blow out or got a puncture in the sidewall.

If thats the case, then your good in the hood. Roadside is the important one. Run flats are pretty much trash to me. I don't see them helping if your stranded more than 50 miles to where you can actually get it fixed. Especially in the middle of the night out in BFE.

See thats how long I haven't check on a new car. I bought both my truck and suv brand new 10 yrs ago, and back then, every car came with full size spares.

Plus a plug kit will do nothing for you, if you have complete blow out or got a puncture in the sidewall.
there's advanced kits that does sidewall patchs that last for 500 miles. However, you need some basic knowledge on how to though.

there's advanced kits that does sidewall patchs that last for 500 miles. However, you need some basic knowledge on how to though.
Really? I didn't know that or just never bothered, cause I have a back up. Now, I need to go stock one of those kits in ea of the rides.

What I'm saying is, just be prepared for the unknown factor. Better to be over cautious then to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with just your **** in your hand.

I've seen a lot of "how the **** that happen" since i'm on the road a lot and I've been messing with cars since my high school years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.