I've created a monster...

Bossman150

Senior VIP Member
Iowa
I thought I had out grown the car audio thing, I was really big into it when I was a kid. I spent thousands over the years from age 16-27 or so, I switched cars about every two years and put a new system in each time. Then I got married and had an amazing step son that I raised from 7-14 (and a crazy b*tch for a wife) so my priorities changed. Then I kicked her out and my step son had to go live with his dad to get away from his crazy mother, she would not let him stay with me so he went with him instead. I figured out I loved being a dad but hated being a husband so I became a foster father. Three years later I adopted one awesome son that is now 9 and I am in the process of adopting another awesome son that is 5.

Anyway you can see I was otherwise occupied the last 10 years or so. Then last summer I replaced my cramped Chevy Cruze with a '12 Nissan Maxima SV sport. Freakin awesome car, I thought I was going to buy a Cadillac STS, but the Maxima totally blew me away. Then a few weeks ago I decided to have Smart Start installed and I decided to use the car audio shop I had used when I was a kid, so I spent about 4 hours hanging out looking at all the car audio stuff. By the time I left I had a bid just to add a sub to Max. Then before the week was out I decided to change the whole system. Now that I have done that, I still want more more more lol.

At least now I have a good head unit (Pioneer AVH4000) and all the wiring is run for two amps with two "ok" amps installed (JL JX250/1, Soundstream STL4.500) with "ok" Kicker CS speakers in the doors and a JL w1v3 2ohm 10" in a .55 sealed box. It sounds pretty good, blows the factory Bose out of the water. I love the head unit, like the rest, but I want to love it. The installer kept the dash speakers hooked up, even though I asked him to disconnect them, they are in line with the front door speakers according to the installer. So I have to keep the speakers faded about 9 clicks to the back because the dash speakers are so loud and harsh when I listen at my preferred volume (about 25).

So question, should I replace the dash speakers or just disconnect them? There are 3 of them, it has a center channel as well. They are 3.5inch. I think I have decided to go with Crescendo Audio Symphony amps, I love the looks and size and they are reviewed really well. They are half the price of JL HD amps. I was thinking a S600.1 for a sub amp and an S800.4 for the speakers. I think I am also going to go away from JL this time, if I can find another brand to meet my needs. Is there a 2ohm 10 or 12 sub anyone can recommend that would do well in a small sealed box that would pair well with that S600.1, budget of about $200ish? I would go higher if needed. I need to keep as much of my trunk space as I can, so if a really good 10 will save me some space I would prefer that. I am going to either replace or disconnect the dash speakers first then change the amp for my speakers, then change the sub amp and sub and finally replace the Kicker door speakers, but that will probably be down the road a ways.

Total noob question here, I use to understand this but I just have not used the knowledge in sooo long. The Symphony 600.1 puts out about 650 watts rms @2ohm. So In order to take advantage of that of that with a single sub I would need either a SVC 2ohm sub or a DVC 4ohm correct? So actually looking at it, the 12" with the 4ohm DVC would work with the 600.1 @2ohms?

I really can't go much over 600 watts, not only do need as much space as possible in my trunk but I really want to keep the electrical factory, so with a Symphony 800.4 running speakers and a 600.1 on the sub I am pretty much maxed. I would really love to do something like this: http://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-2015/676164-changed-up-my-thump-trunk.html

But man I am just awful with building anything. My dad is extremely talented artist and carpenter and I can't even build a simple box lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if I do replace the dash speakers, anybody have a suggestion for 3.5's that would essentially be acting as tweeters?

Total noob question here, I use to understand this but I just have not used the knowledge in sooo long. The Symphony 600.1 puts out about 650 watts rms @2ohm. So In order to take advantage of that of that with a single sub I would need either a SVC 2ohm sub or a DVC 4ohm correct? So actually looking at it, the 12" with the 4ohm DVC would work with the 600.1 @2ohms?
I really can't go much over 600 watts, not only do need as much space as possible in my trunk but I really want to keep the electrical factory, so with a Symphony 800.4 running speakers and a 600.1 on the sub I am pretty much maxed. I would really love to do something like this: Changed up my Thump in the Trunk - Maxima Forums

But man I am just awful with building anything. My dad is extremely talented artist and carpenter and I can't even build a simple box lol.
didnt realize the 600.1 was a 2 ohm amp, nvm then the dayton 4 ohm DVC sub is what you'd want because wired parallel will give you a 2 ohm load to the amp.

Ok so I talked to my salesman and for obvious reasons he is trying to get my to stay with JL. He offered to sell me a 10w6v3 for $385, which is only $10 more than the Amazon price and $115 off retail. I listened to a buddy of mine's car with the 10w6 in the same sealed .55cu box I have with just a Rockford Prime 500.1 and I was blown away, just not even in the same ballpark as my w1 of course. So before I bite on the w6, is there any 10" out there in the $400 price range that is truly better that will thrive in such a tiny box and run at 2ohm? Or at that level is it really too subjective? My shop really cut down and now only sells JL, Pioneer and MMATTs subs so I just don't have the ability to go listen to several different brands, so I really appreciate the feedback. I liked the suggestion above and liked the reviews I have read on the Dayton HOs, just curious with the higher budget what there is out there.

Ok so I talked to my salesman and for obvious reasons he is trying to get my to stay with JL. He offered to sell me a 10w6v3 for $385, which is only $10 more than the Amazon price and $115 off retail. I listened to a buddy of mine's car with the 10w6 in the same sealed .55cu box I have with just a Rockford Prime 500.1 and I was blown away, just not even in the same ballpark as my w1 of course. So before I bite on the w6, is there any 10" out there in the $400 price range that is truly better that will thrive in such a tiny box and run at 2ohm? Or at that level is it really too subjective? My shop really cut down and now only sells JL, Pioneer and MMATTs subs so I just don't have the ability to go listen to several different brands, so I really appreciate the feedback. I liked the suggestion above and liked the reviews I have read on the Dayton HOs, just curious with the higher budget what there is out there.
Sundown audio SD-3 10"

http://www.emfcaraudio.com/sundown-audio-sd-3-10-dual-2/

It says pre order, but I talked to sundown and the 10" subs are in stock and being shipped out. They are designed for small sealed enclosures. Sundown is one of the best bang for your buck subs out.

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/sundown-audio-sd-3-10-500-watt-sd-series.html

Specs are supposed to be the same as the SD-2s. The 10" needs .5 cubic feet, so it should work great in your box

Thanks, I should have said above, I listen to 60% rock, 35% country and 5% rap. So looking more for sq instead of pure loud. SA's still hold up for that?

I'm probably going to get attacked for this reply but here we go

Stick with the JL. you'll have the customer support from your local vendor and regardless of the negativity on this site about JL, the fact is the W6 series is one of the best subs in its price range.

Its true that there are a number of underground subs that'll give more output, but the sq of the JL is better than most of them. You'd have to decide if you want sq or output. The Sundown in most cases will get louder than the JL for example.

I'd recommend SSA DCON or GCON overall, but you'd need a bit more space.

The sundown is a great choice, but anyone who says the Jl is a bad choice is an idiot. Loves a small sealed box and will sound great. The price is right to. If I was gonna go sd3, I would do a 12 or a pair of tens. I would run a Jl audio hd 5 channel if he will give you a fair price, my local is around 850 which is not bad based on the quality and the footprint. I'm running that amp right now and love it

The sundown is a great choice, but anyone who says the Jl is a bad choice is an idiot. Loves a small sealed box and will sound great. The price is right to. If I was gonna go sd3, I would do a 12 or a pair of tens. I would run a Jl audio hd 5 channel if he will give you a fair price, my local is around 850 which is not bad based on the quality and the footprint. I'm running that amp right now and love it
Not an idiot. For $1250 in just a sub and amp, you can do better than a 10w6 and HD 5 channel. It's your money. Spend it how you please

If buying JL, definitely buy used from a trusted member. I personally would not pay full retail. With 400 dollars you can get a used 13w7 that will pound for years no problem or a pair of 10w6s rather than 1. Tc sounds epic, dayton ho, ssa gcon, are some alternatives if you prefer new. Just saying, ive gotten all my subs used and havent been burned yet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.