It's on....It's off.....It's on?? What's up with that?

Oh great and mighty radio problem trouble shooters. I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan (yeah, it's a minivan!... well my wife's baby anyway!) with factory components.

The problem: I start the car, back out of the driveway and take off down the road not 100ft and the radio shuts off. I push the power button in and then push it to turn it back on and comes back on! I drive a little ways and it shuts off again. With the car off and the key turned back the radio works fine, but it does shut off as I increase the volume above "30." My kids still don't know all the lyrics to the Wiggles songs! I think they think they are a rap group!! The radio seems to stay on longer with the volume lower("13-17" range).

What I know: As I accelerate, that is when it tends to shut off the most frequently. Sometimes it will shut off as I approach a stoplight too. I have checked all the fuses I know of and everything seems to be fine. I have taken the unit out and looked for obvious damage to wires, connections etc. Nothing! I am at a loss and am casting a line out to anyone who has an idea or something I can look at before my wife forces my hand to take it in to get fixed. Any ideas?????

I give you mad lols sir. I could not tell you what is up with this, does the radio have speed compensated loudness? try turning that off, it may have to do with it. if not try putting in an aftermarket radio

get a dmm and meter the constant and switch behind the radio, also are all the speakers good? if you have a bad speaker it will cause the radio to turn off when the volume is turned up

Pretty sure those Caravans don't have speed compensator and even if it has it the radio wouldn't just shut off.

My guess is a bad connection somewhere in the factory radio/harness. But to trace it it'll be pretty hard so replacing the radio would be better.

When the vehicle is parked and running it does seem to let the volume get louder before it shuts off. As far as the DC outlet goes, I cannot check it now, but my wife has mentioned her phone hasn't charged after being plugged in some times, but I never could never replicate that scenario when I went and looked at it. I'm interested in hearing what you might be thinking. Thank you for your time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.