It's been almost 20 years since I messed with car audio... needing some advice.

eth3rton

My wife went and test drove a new Mitsubishi Outlander and described the audio system as "an religious experience". She listens to mostly rock (Metallica, Korn & Rob Zombie) and some country (Big & Rich). No rap/r&b.

So here's the question. She has a 2004 Suzuki Aereo hatchback, which she loves. I can build the enclosure but I am so far gone on name brands I couldn't tell one from another now. So, help me put together a "religious experience" for her. From the ground up but not to the point of needing to replace alternators or a wall of speakers. I was thinking a single 10" and some really nice mids/highs for the front and rear. Headunit (currently has a Pioneer FH-X700BT), 5 ch amp, ect... no idea.

Budget: cheaper the better obviously but not to the point of sacrificing quality.

Space: No wall. I was thinking a single 10" woofer firing up? I had a similar setup once upon a time in an '91 Civic HB.

Thanks!

You need to give a price number you don't want to send over. We can give names brands ect.. But it could go from 1grand to 5grand so a budget price would help and I would recommend not going over 1.5k watts and upgrading to an agm battery also. That will allow you to keep your stock alt if you stay under or around 1-1.5k watts

I am an OG also. Given the limited amount of information you have supplied I would point you towards a sub like Phoenix Gold SX110ds in a ported box tuned to the low 30's (aeroport if possible), Then getting an amp like the Phoenix Gold SD800.5, then use a set of components in the front possibly the Ti265cs and coax in the rearTi265ps. Now the above is a Phoenix Gold nut hugging system, but for $750 I can promise you it will out do 95% of the stock systems you will ever listen to. If you want to try some newer brands that are not "big box" brands you would point you towards a sub like the Sundown E series 10, in a ported box tuned to the lower 30's, Zapco ST-5X amp, 2 sets of RE audio RE6.5 components.

Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look at those. Never heard of Sundown or RE Audio prior to today, but browsing the forums they seem highly recommended. PG & Zapco were brands I remember from way back. Also, how does Orion fare these days? I remember their amps were top notch at the time. What is "OG"?

edit: That is possibly the most disturbing avatar I have seen on a forum (sorry if its a selfie). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

OG = original gangsta.

I too am an OG who re entered the 12volt industry preofessionally last year after a ~2 decade absence. Sundown is a good brand and there are a lot of other very good brands out there. As a CT Sounds dealer, I would obviously recommend looking into that brand as well. As for Orion, not what it used to be and they're joined in that category by Phoenix Gold, Soundstream, Precision Power and a few others. Rockford Fosgate hasn't changed much... good amps, okay full range speakers and not worth it subs and, of course, they're as over priced as they've ever been.

As for recommendations on a budget system, I would recommend that you spend more time and possibly even money, on prepping the listening environment and on designing and building the subwoofer enclosure. You can install the best speakers ever in doors that aren't deadened or in a box that's not right and the system will sound like shite. Likewise, you can install cheap, entry level components in a properly setup environment and get really nice (albeit not so loud) sound.

As for recommendations on a budget system, I would recommend that you spend more time and possibly even money, on prepping the listening environment and on designing and building the subwoofer enclosure. You can install the best speakers ever in doors that aren't deadened or in a box that's not right and the system will sound like shite. Likewise, you can install cheap, entry level components in a properly setup environment and get really nice (albeit not so loud) sound.
Well said, install is a big part of getting good sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.