Issues with new system

Krumy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Florida
I recently upgraded my HU from a Sony MEX100BT to a Pioneer DMH W2700NEX. I also added a 4 channel amp to my system to power my speakers. The issue is, my sub seems to be much quieter now. The only difference in the wiring now for the sub is that there is a jumper for the remote wire so that 1 remote wire turns on both amps, and that instead of being 8 ga straight from the battery to the amp with only an inline fuse, my wire run is now 4 ga to an inline fuse 18" from the battery, 4 ga from the inline to a fused distribution block, then the distribution block splits into two 8 ga wires. One runs to my sub monoblock amp (NVX MVPA1) and one runs to my 4 channel amp (NVX VADM4). I used to run the monoblock at about 2/3 power with no boost on the amp itself. This made is hit perfectly. Now with the new system, even turned all the way up to 100% power, 6db boost, and +4db on the speaker level from the HU it still doesnt hit the same. I am not an expert by any means on car audio, so any advice or reasons why this could be happening would be appreciated. If there is any information that is needed that I haven't provided, let me know and I will do my best to provide it. Another thing to mention is, I feel like my speakers now have much more bass to them and it almost seems like the lpf and hpf on the HU and amps does nothing or very little. Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

You went from a 5v voltage preout rca to a 2v voltage rca preout on the Pioneer. That can make a difference. You really want a head unit with at least 4v voltage preout these days. If you can return that head unit and find something different with the 4v or 5v setup I would.

Last edited:
You went from a 5v voltage preout rca to a 2v voltage rca preout on the Pioneer. That can make a difference. You really want a head unit with at least 4v voltage preout these days. If you can return that head unit and find something different with the 4v or 5v setup I would.
Sadly I threw away the box and have already cut wires and everything else for the install. Looks like I will have to do some serious tinkering to get it back to what it was.

Sadly I threw away the box and have already cut wires and everything else for the install. Looks like I will have to do some serious tinkering to get it back to what it was.
Maybe you can sell that lower Voltage HU on Ebay or Local and recover some funds to go towards a decent Kenwood /JVC or Alpine 4v-5v hu or another 4v+ Sony Hu?

Last edited:
You need to set the gain on your amplifier for your new head unit. As said, your old head unit had 5v preouts, (it was sending a 5v signal through your RCAs). Now your new one is sending out 2v.

Not sure if that's how it works out, but you might be only getting 40% of the power you were getting before. You won't get as clean a signal, but you might not even notice after you get your power back. No need to sell your new head unit just yet, you need to go set the gain again on your amp.

Going to a lower output head unit mainly means high gain on the amplifiers to achieve the same output at the amplifiers with the old head unit. Usually not a big deal to do and the gains will of course need readjusted to suit the new source anyway.

Does Audiocontrol still make line drivers? Could get one with enough channels to boost the signal going back to the amplifiers to keep noise low if it is a problem with higher level on the amps, then can keep the amp gain lower if really needed. Line driver might be an option though, but likely not cheap.

2v preamp voltage is fine. 2v used to be the standard until the industry figured out they could market 5v outputs. Unless you're competing, I don't see a big advantage to 5v preamp voltage.

2v preamp voltage is fine. 2v used to be the standard until the industry figured out they could market 5v outputs. Unless you're competing, I don't see a big advantage to 5v preamp voltage.
Yeah honestly I would just re-adjust the amp before anything else. I've been running an older Sony with 2v preouts and it has been plenty. I've ran old Rockford amps, MTX, Soundstream, Memphis, MA Audio, (insert others brands I can't think of), with no issues. I own an old 90's Audiocontrol Line Driver and never felt the need to use it with this head unit.

So I have tried to adjust the gains on the amp and sadly it just doesnt come back to the same level it was before. Even with my amp level maxed out and +6db and some added gain from the HU. Once it starts to hit harder, you can tell there is noise and it is not clean bass like I am used to from my system. I am looking at a way to sneak an amazon return in and purchase either a Kenwood DMX809S, Kenwood DMX8709S. Does anybody have other recommendations? Preferably sub 600 dollars.

Thank you all

What do you mean amp level maxed out? and playing monoblock at 2/3?

All the settings on your head unit and your amp need to be zeroed out or as close to flat as you can get it, then set the gain. That's where you start. No boost, don't bump up the gain, and don't set it on a maxed out volume if you don't have a way to check actual distortion, or aren't setting it by voltage with a multimeter at rated power.

What do you mean amp level maxed out? and playing monoblock at 2/3?

All the settings on your head unit and your amp need to be zeroed out or as close to flat as you can get it, then set the gain. That's where you start. No boost, don't bump up the gain, and don't set it on a maxed out volume if you don't have a way to check actual distortion, or aren't setting it by voltage with a multimeter at rated power.
I apologize, I will try to explain more in depth on my process. I zero'd everything on the radio and both my amps. I then turned the radio up to about 35 because that is normally where I set my radio around. I then turned up my 4 channel amp sensitivity until I got a sound I was pleased with. I then moved to my sub, because at this point I could not even hear it. I slowly turned up my level adjustment until it was maxed out and it was still weak. I then turned it all the way back down and moved my bass boost to +6db. It only has 3 settings, 0,6,12. I then turned my level knob(on the sub, not a separate level knob) until I got a better sound out of my sub. This was almost all the way up on the level knob, I would say around 90-95 percent. I then moved to my HU to adjust further. I turned the speaker level on the sub up to +7 and left the speakers as they are because I am happy with their sound. At this point, the sub sounds okay but is definitely not as sensitive or clear as it was with my 5v sony HU.

Also as a note, my sub is rated to 300w rms and my amp only puts out 200w rms at 4ohm (certified by sonic electronix to be closer to 270w rms). So I am not particularly worried about blowing the sub from too much power from the amp. Overheating the amp, I would be more concerned about, but it has always run cool for the last couple of years.

I apologize, I will try to explain more in depth on my process. I zero'd everything on the radio and both my amps. I then turned the radio up to about 35 because that is normally where I set my radio around. I then turned up my 4 channel amp sensitivity until I got a sound I was pleased with. I then moved to my sub, because at this point I could not even hear it. I slowly turned up my level adjustment until it was maxed out and it was still weak. I then turned it all the way back down and moved my bass boost to +6db. It only has 3 settings, 0,6,12. I then turned my level knob(on the sub, not a separate level knob) until I got a better sound out of my sub. This was almost all the way up on the level knob, I would say around 90-95 percent. I then moved to my HU to adjust further. I turned the speaker level on the sub up to +7 and left the speakers as they are because I am happy with their sound. At this point, the sub sounds okay but is definitely not as sensitive or clear as it was with my 5v sony HU.

Also as a note, my sub is rated to 300w rms and my amp only puts out 200w rms at 4ohm (certified by sonic electronix to be closer to 270w rms). So I am not particularly worried about blowing the sub from too much power from the amp. Overheating the amp, I would be more concerned about, but it has always run cool for the last couple of years.
The subwoofer level on the head unit might have to be maxed out when you set your gains. If you use a multimeter and a 40 HZ test tone you can check and see at what volume level your head unit hits 2 volts on the RCA output. On my head unit I am at 43 out of 50 to hit the advertised 3 volts on my RCAs. I don’t trust that it isn’t clipping at that high volume level, so I just set my amps up at 2 volts, which is volume level 37 on mine. Most amplifiers can hit RMS wattage with just 1 volt on the RCAs.

So I have tried to adjust the gains on the amp and sadly it just doesnt come back to the same level it was before. Even with my amp level maxed out and +6db and some added gain from the HU. Once it starts to hit harder, you can tell there is noise and it is not clean bass like I am used to from my system. I am looking at a way to sneak an amazon return in and purchase either a Kenwood DMX809S, Kenwood DMX8709S. Does anybody have other recommendations? Preferably sub 600 dollars.

Thank you all
What vehicle do you have? And what size sub are you willing to give up space for? $600 is doable for a new substage and amplifier

The subwoofer level on the head unit might have to be maxed out when you set your gains. If you use a multimeter and a 40 HZ test tone you can check and see at what volume level your head unit hits 2 volts on the RCA output. On my head unit I am at 43 out of 50 to hit the advertised 3 volts on my RCAs. I don’t trust that it isn’t clipping at that high volume level, so I just set my amps up at 2 volts, which is volume level 37 on mine. Most amplifiers can hit RMS wattage with just 1 volt on the RCAs.
On the older single din alpines.the sub level had to be maxed to get full voltage.also,since u retuned your system,sounds like your door speakers are drowning out the bass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...