Issue with basic head unit install - Clarion DB185MP in '94 Ram

Participant count
  • Participant list

dfkdfk

Hi Guys,

As the thread title suggests I am having an issue with a very basic head unit (clarion DB185MP) install in my truck (1994 dodge ram). That said I haven't done a lot of car stereo installs so I'm def. a novice. The truck has the factory upgraded Infinity sound system.

I purchased a Metra "Turbowire Cable System" in anticipation of the install - I hooked everything up according to the instructions and plugged it into the wiring harness no problem. There was a ground coming out of the dash bolted to the stock head unit - I bolted that onto the aftermarket head unit. The aftermarket head unit had it's own ground which I bolted onto the aftermarket head unit. I plugged in the antenna. I turned everything on - here is the scenario:

The radio works fine - I get sound out of all of the speakers (Tweeters and the larger speakers) and it works fine

HOWEVER - when I switch to CD or Auxillary mode (for my mp3 player) I only get sound out of the tweeters... what happens when I switch from Tuner to CD is I hear the cd play out of all of the speakers for about a second before it switches to just the tweeters... I here a small clicking sound, almost like a relay or something and then it only plays out of the tweeters.

Any ideas as to what would cause this? Do I have the head unit grounded properly? Thanks SO MUCH for any advice.

Well it turns out that I had this thing miswired at the harness - I had the antenna/amp wired into my amp line so the amp to my speakers only worked when I had the radio on.

Seems simple enough for a car audio guru to diagnose so I'm surprised none of you ******** helped me out, but it's all good... I got my stereo working.

Well it turns out that I had this thing miswired at the harness - I had the antenna/amp wired into my amp line so the amp to my speakers only worked when I had the radio on.
Seems simple enough for a car audio guru to diagnose so I'm surprised none of you ******** helped me out, but it's all good... I got my stereo working.
CAN YOU SAY DICK

wow lol,

i think you could wait to get a reply or do some research genius

yeah it is usually nooobs that hook up the amp turn on wire to the antenna wire and then ***** about defective headunits.

come on man you knew you had a infinity system which will have some sort of amp, did you bother reading the manual to figure out which wire is the amp turn on wire, typically the blue lead, sometimes blue/white lead.

jesus christ there are like a million people on this forum, I ask a basic question - get no replies in 24 hours.

I read the manual and the wiring harness instructions - I misread the diagram and connected the blue wire instead of the blue and white wire which resulted in a problem that I believe would be pretty easy for someone who has installed a radio or 2 to diagnose. I've nver claimed to know anything about car steroes - in fact this is the first time I installed a headunit so when I ran into some issues I went to the forums. Within a couple hours I got it figured out w/ the dudes at the dodge forum - thanks.

jesus christ there are like a million people on this forum, I ask a basic question - get no replies in 24 hours.
I read the manual and the wiring harness instructions - I misread the diagram and connected the blue wire instead of the blue and white wire which resulted in a problem that I believe would be pretty easy for someone who has installed a radio or 2 to diagnose. I've nver installed a headunit so when I ran into some issues I went to the forums. Within a couple hours I got it figured out w/ the dudes at the dodge forum - thanks.
Maybe people were thinking about your question. Or maybe they were tired of suggesting you take it to the shop.

WHEN you come back with other questions, remember what you said here. Had I saw the thread, I woulda suggested the blue and blue/white wire. It's a common noob mistake.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.