Here's the details:

99' Blazer

Pioneer X3700UI Head Unit

Stock 110 Amp Delco Alternator

Autocraft Silver Battery

Big 3 Upgrade done with 1/0 welding cable

2 Kicker L5 12's (06L5S12)

Hifonics BRZ 2400.1D Amplifier running 2400w @ .5 ohms

My Kickers are dual 2's, so I can only wire to 2 or .5 ohm. Meaning I can't get 2400 out of the amp (it's rating at 1 ohm). I decided to say f*** it and wire down to half ohm. Now I know efficiency goes right out the window with .5 ohm, but I wanna know if that's OK because I'm not demanding 3-4k out of it like most people would trying to double their power at .5 ohm. I'm just trying to get 2400 out of it, which is its max rating at 1 ohm, so, 2400 at .5 shouldn't be too bad should it?

I've been blasting em for a good hour now, and the amp gets a bit hot, but nothing extreme, no voice coil smell, no distortion. My voltage doesn't drop below 12v. Is this ok?

id probably say fuck it but dont clip it to death, measure your actual drop and rise with a clamp meter and go from there.

its worth the 15$ to buy one from harbor freight just to see where your actual rise is
I didn't realize they were that cheap! That will show me my real world RMS wattage that the subs are actually seeing too, right? And as a side note what can I get a good cheap oscope for? Nothing fancy, just me and my buddies tuning our systems.

Run the subs at double their rated power and the amp and half rated impedance, what could possibly go wrong?

Now that everyone has chimed in with their boogeyman advice you'll know that when you start breaking equipment it's from "clipping" or "not having enough electrical", not in fact from using your stuff way outside of it's design limits.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.