Is what I'm doing safe?

Run the subs at double their rated power and the amp and half rated impedance, what could possibly go wrong?
Now that everyone has chimed in with their boogeyman advice you'll know that when you start breaking equipment it's from "clipping" or "not having enough electrical", not in fact from using your stuff way outside of it's design limits.
If they die, they die. I'm going to upgrade to 2 good 18s when they do, so for now, **** it. I want it LOUD. Generally speaking, I'll smell it before it blows, right? Because they put off no coil smell whatsoever

If they die, they die. I'm going to upgrade to 2 good 18s when they do, so for now, **** it. I want it LOUD. Generally speaking, I'll smell it before it blows, right? Because they put off no coil smell whatsoever
If you can afford to blow up your equipment then why even ask? Just abuse it til it breaks and buy something else.

If you can afford to blow up your equipment then why even ask? Just abuse it til it breaks and buy something else.
"Can" afford to is relative haha. I'd rather not blow them, cuz they'd put more cash in my pocket to upgrade, but realistically they are not actually seeing 3000 watts. Maybe close during a 50hz burp but on music it's less than half of that. They aren't even that much louder, probably 2-3dbs. I see people pushing triple-quadruple times rated power sometimes and they don't blow. A guy I saw a couple days ago had three 1k subs on bit over 5k. They were crying for dear mercy, and the smell was terrible, but they sat there and took it. If I don't smell em, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, right?

"Can" afford to is relative haha. I'd rather not blow them, cuz they'd put more cash in my pocket to upgrade, but realistically they are not actually seeing 3000 watts. Maybe close during a 50hz burp but on music it's less than half of that. They aren't even that much louder, probably 2-3dbs. I see people pushing triple-quadruple times rated power sometimes and they don't blow. A guy I saw a couple days ago had three 1k subs on bit over 5k. They were crying for dear mercy, and the smell was terrible, but they sat there and took it. If I don't smell em, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, right?
Your pushing lower end equipment past the threshold norm.

The brz is a very good amp, but its not the best to run at .5 ohm. Most bigger amps do fine dropping to 12v.

The brz may end up blowing on even 12.5v @ .5 ohm.

Keep it at 13v+ until you get a better alt and possibly an agm battery.

Upgrade your amp before the subs.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

1/2 ohm isn't really healthy for any amp regardless of how high your system voltage is and the L5 is a pretty low end woofer. Even the L7 struggles with over 1000W. Others here will give you some magic rituals to perform to make these conditions safe but I won't cosign that. Don't get me wrong. I'd probably do it, but I would be expecting things to break.

Can I just leave it at .5 ohm and keep the power at 1500? Is that ok? Because that's what I was running at 2 ohm. I just wanna be able to turn it up real quick to demo em. And I've taken two hour long car rides so far, no signs of stress

Can I just leave it at .5 ohm and keep the power at 1500? Is that ok? Because that's what I was running at 2 ohm. I just wanna be able to turn it up real quick to demo em. And I've taken two hour long car rides so far, no signs of stress
How hot does the amp get?

You can run it at whatever you want, but heat will kill the amp quick so if its getting hot on 2k+ watts then you need to turn it down.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

If you don't care about blowing your subs and will just replace them it doesn't sound like you needed any advice since you've pretty much ignored or argued with anyone saying it isn't a good idea. So just close this thread and let them rip.

If you don't care about blowing your subs and will just replace them it doesn't sound like you needed any advice since you've pretty much ignored or argued with anyone saying it isn't a good idea. So just close this thread and let them rip.
Dude I was just asking... They really don't get that hot so I didn't think it was that big of a deal I just wanted to check. And I'm not giving em 3000 constantly, only when I feel like it. Running a lower amount of power (1500w) on .5 ohm shouldn't be a problem, right? It can do that at 2 ohm

Dude I was just asking... They really don't get that hot so I didn't think it was that big of a deal I just wanted to check. And I'm not giving em 3000 constantly, only when I feel like it. Running a lower amount of power (1500w) on .5 ohm shouldn't be a problem, right? It can do that at 2 ohm
Can you do it? Of course you can. Are you running a pretty high likelyhood of damaging them or your amp running it in a way it's not designed for? Yes, you are likely to damage something even if you're cautious. I've put a lot of power on subs that aren't designed for it, but i don't run amps, especially fairly cheap ones lower than they are designed for while over powering the subs as well. My suggestion is this, improve your voltage at the amp if you are hell bent on keeping what you have. You will drastically decrease the odds of damage if you can feed your amp better. That is my 2 cents.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.