Is this true about Slot port boxes?

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
ok so,

Is it true that you should minus the width of port(3.75" inches in my case) from the total length of the port length? I was told the back wall can act as a port extension or something.

I was just curious if this is true or not?

as far as i knew, the correlation between port width and the back wall is that you need to turn the port if the terminus is closer to the back wall that the port width, otherwise the driver wont unload properly.
Right i knew that. Its said to keep you port wall atleast the port width from all walls(in may case 3.75" from all walls throughout the port wall including the turn in back of the box)

The back wall extends the effective length of the port by 1/2 of the port width. Generally speaking the difference of 2 inches in port length plus the slight variance in effective box volume should be inaudible, but if you're splitting hairs, yes the port will for all intents and purposes be longer than the piece you cut to make the inside port wall.

Also it's much more of an issue where you have, for example, a wall build with a 14" wide port on one side of a 6" baffle. The "port" that the woofer sees would be appx 13" deep.... the 6" thickness of the baffle plus 7" of depth gained along the straight wall which makes the other side of the port.

Also it's much more of an issue where you have, for example, a wall build with a 14" wide port on one side of a 6" baffle. The "port" that the woofer sees would be appx 13" deep.... the 6" thickness of the baffle plus 7" of depth gained along the straight wall which makes the other side of the port.
ok so in my case should minus the 3.75 inches from the port length or would it really matter

....... boosting post count?
Does anyone actually care about post count? Besides LACRX. Worrying about that ish is stupid.

They do cool amps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Does anyone actually care about post count? Besides LACRX. Worrying about that ish is stupid.
They do cool amps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
lol....

HALF your port width, so 1 7/8 is what you would need to consider. If your port is 8" wide the difference of 4" length may be a more substantial difference. JL article explains it well enough.
ok so minus 1 7/8 from the total port length

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.