is there a sound difference between 2 ohm and 4 ohm

Participant count
  • Participant list

don1
10+ year member

pa
i found 4 different amps that are within $20 of eachother and im wondering from other peoples experiences if theres a final sound difference if i were to run a 4 ohm setup vs. a 2 ohm setup.. the amp if for a pair of 4 ohm subwoofers and my options are 2 ohm monoblock or 2 channel parallel 4 ohm.. this is going to be the deciding factor... all 4 amps meet the rms wattage for the subs

more concerned about the manufacture of the amplifier
ok.... sound storm sta220 , boss audio ph21500 , absolute bla3000.2 , and power acoustic mono cpt220d.

im leaning towards the boss audio

this place is overwhelming.. its good but ive been seaching for 3 days now and really havnt found anything that will point me in the right direction for an amp, and i dont have $700 to drop on an amp. any reccomendations on a manufacturer that can give me 400 watts rms at 4 ohms peak at 1400 or 800 rms at 2 ohms peak 2800 thats not going to break the bank

ok say i find 2 amps from the same manufacturer and sereis but ones mono and the other 2 channel with the same output wich would sound better 2 ohm or 4 ohm

should sound the same how do you have the options to wire to 4 and 2 ohm its not possible. two 4 ohm subs can be wired at 2 or 8 ohm unless u are running stereo which u dont want to do

doesn't really matter.I suppose some prefer mono amps for their subs some don't I'm currently using a 2 channel amp for my sub, so tack your pick

ok say i find 2 amps from the same manufacturer and sereis but ones mono and the other 2 channel with the same output wich would sound better 2 ohm or 4 ohm
Depends what they are rated at. You need to give specifics. Car audio equipment isnt set in stone. One amp/brand may not be the same as the other

doesn't really matter.I suppose some prefer mono amps for their subs some don't I'm currently using a 2 channel amp for my sub, so tack your pick
your also bridged he cant bridge 2 4ohm subs for a 4ohm load. he would have to run stereo which can cause cancelation

Cancellation of what?
if you run stereo there can be differences from left to right called staging right. so if you have two subs sharing the same box trying to play different notes at the same time doesnt work well at all. im not saying it isnt possible but its not optimal and there is no difference in sound from 4 or 2 ohm some amps just like certain loads better than others

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.