Is the VSS wire needed?

Participant count
  • Participant list

blazeplacid
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
DFW texas
I have an eclipse AVN5510. Im going to install it in a 2010 Mazda CX7.

My problem is that I cant find a diagram that shows the VSS wire for the car.

is it required to have the VSS hooked up for the navigation to work? Or is it there to assist if the navi losses signal for a little bit??

Metra doesnt know where the wire is, car toys, etc. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

found some diangrams on alldata

diagram.jpg

diagram1.jpg

if im not mistaken the VSS wire helps the GPS pick up the car speed to help with route times,and with tracking the car while in movement. so the GPS does just that,,position the car on the maps appropriatley

nope,needs the VSS wire

some people tell me its pin 20 in a 24 pin harness.

harness is behind the instrument cluster??

ill try to find it later

yes you do need it, you have to test the wire with a dmm to make sure the voltage goes up a lil bit when the car is in motion IE: you have to jack a few wheels of the car up to make sure its working an you cant use the rpm wire. its called the vehicle speed sensor for a reason

hooked it up and getting no results

My dmm reads 4.5 volts and doesnt move

I tripled checked to make sure it was the right wire....

You can use the Nav without the VSS. It will get data and speed for the GPS antenna and you are moving away from the 3 satellites. The VSS will give you a more accurate reading on distance to your next turn because it can know your exact speed at every second. I have owned three eclipse nav units and on ran one with the VSS and the other two worked just fine. The accuracy of the GPS antenna without the VSS hooked up is around 1-3 meters from your actual position (3-10ft).

nah man its not working without it

I calle 3 shops and they all agreed, even asked some local install folks I know, they said some Eclipse navs need ii

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.