Fried Amp? And Ohm's questions?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Winter_C
10+ year member

Teh Pinto Driver
Ok, So, I have a "homeade" distrubution block, basically a piece of aluminum angle iron, that has my main 1/0 bolted to it, and the two other wires running off it to each of my amps, and that whole thing is mounted to a piece of MDF, and I have another angle iron piece mounted to the board aswell for my negative...well tonight, everything was unhooked, just the main + and - each running to their seperate angle iron, and i was driving down the road when i heard/seen sparks shooting, it flipped over and touched my KX1200...and i pulled over and looked in back, it like welded itself to case of my amp, but the amp was not hooked up to anything at all. It fried my 150A ANL fuse so it only happened for a short period of time...but I continued to my buddies house to go hook my stereo up, and I have all equipment listed in sig, and my two amps are strapped...got everything all hooked up and its not near as loud as it was...but if my amp was fried, would I have any output if they are strapped? considering half my wires run from one amp, and other half of wires run to other? what do you guys think?

And also, I am at 2.66 ohm load, running in parallel right now, if I switched it over to series, can anyone tell me what I would be running at? I know its under 1 ohm..but how far below?

Sorry if this is long...want to make sure I have as much info as possible so hopefully you know what you need to know

P.S dont diss my homeade block, it was temp...and now it might have owned my a*s

Ok, So, I have a "homeade" distrubution block, basically a piece of aluminum angle iron, that has my main 1/0 bolted to it, and the two other wires running off it to each of my amps, and that whole thing is mounted to a piece of MDF, and I have another angle iron piece mounted to the board aswell for my negative...well tonight, everything was unhooked, just the main + and - each running to their seperate angle iron, and i was driving down the road when i heard/seen sparks shooting, it flipped over and touched my KX1200...and i pulled over and looked in back, it like welded itself to case of my amp, but the amp was not hooked up to anything at all. It fried my 150A ANL fuse so it only happened for a short period of time...but I continued to my buddies house to go hook my stereo up, and I have all equipment listed in sig, and my two amps are strapped...got everything all hooked up and its not near as loud as it was...but if my amp was fried, would I have any output if they are strapped? considering half my wires run from one amp, and other half of wires run to other? what do you guys think?
And also, I am at 2.66 ohm load, running in parallel right now, if I switched it over to series, can anyone tell me what I would be running at? I know its under 1 ohm..but how far below?

Sorry if this is long...want to make sure I have as much info as possible so hopefully you know what you need to know

P.S dont diss my homeade block, it was temp...and now it might have owned my a*s

This.

Did the distro have exposed metal? If so' date=' could be a bad thing.[/quote']
yes lol i believe that would be a short to ground if it was touching the chassis or ur amp completed a circuit when it might of hit the chassis somehow...

3 DVC 4 ohm Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel = 2.67 ohm load

3 DVC 4 ohm Voice coils wired in parallel, speakers wired in series = 6 ohm load

get a 4th p3 then you'll b good at a 0.5 ohm load wired in parallel

At 2.66 you obviously have your VC in series and wired to the amp in paralell. If you wire the vc's in paralell and wire them to the amp in paralell, you are looking at a .66 ohm load. DVC 4 = 2 or 8 ohm load. VC load divided by the number of subs will give you your ohm load; that is, if they are all the same vc configuration. i.e.- 2ohms/3 subs = .66 load.

Also, are both power lights on? Did you test each amp individually?

Ok, like i said, it was a temporary distro block, and yeah it mighta been dumb but it was to demo for a guy who just opened a shop up down here..and i had some highschool kids braggin my 3 12"s are louder than his 4 15"s...anyways, Yeah i can get a dmm...but how do i test the amp? because it still gets power to it...i mean, its all hooked up in my car right now, and the amp powers on, dont go into protect, and my subs all work...but it sounds almost like it did when i only had one amp hooked up instead of the two...

I would reccomend powering one amp to one sub check the gains all the filters see if it works, then check the rest of the subs one at a time. Switch amps test all the subs again eventually just play with them man its all trial and error. Be creative, the thing is no one was sitting in your trunk watching all these wires that should have been secured. =P But if you saw sparks and your power fuse blew then something grounded out somewhere.

Yeah, My power and ground were connected in circuit via my amp...but it was just the shell of the amp, so would any of the guts been grounded out with it? and the thing that gets me, if it was FRIED, would i have sound coming out right now? considering that amp+ my other amp are strapped together?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.