is the massive audio n4 and american bass phantom ph4000md the same amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mscott1979
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i was scrolling thru ebay today and noticed a very small american bass amp and realized it looked really familiar and it came to me that it looked identical to the massive audio n4 only diff is the heatsink is ridged on the a.b. and on the m.a it's smooth. As far as power, speaker/power connections, input voltage and sensitivity and etc. they are identically matched Can anybody verify that the amps are the same or not?

Yes, they're from the same build house and besides cosmetics and maybe a different warranty they're the same amp. If you can find a legit company whoring them out for cheap I would pick which one is cheaper. If you care about a warranty, buy from an authorized dealer.

just for pic reference, here's an massive internals:

IMAG0186.jpg

and the AB:

PH-4000_5.jpg

yep they def have identical boards....its amazing how such a small footprint can make that much power how do these amps sound? I've some ppl say they tend to get pretty warm is that true?

Unless you're comparing the sound of bass boost EQs, a monoblock amp shouldn't have an identifiable "sound" to it.

Despite the lack of fins to increase surface area on the heatsink, the design doesn't overheat under typical conditions. I don't know what coating American Bass chose, but the Nano Block amps are anodized, which improves heat dissipation.

I've measured 600W @ 1 Ohm from my N2 at 12.x volts, which is well in line with the manufacturer's rating of 800W @ 1 Ohm at 14.4V. Until I find a really compelling reason to change my subwoofer amp, this is here to stay for a long time.

I first had 4 Kicker CVR 12s on a single Massive N4. It was a great setup. Id play it all day long. Amp would get warm after about 15-20 minutes of super hard play, but it was under the seat in my truck, and didnt have much, if any, ventilation.

Then I upgraded to 4 PSI Platform 1 12s. Liked the amps so much, I just bought another. Again, after a while of playing it wide open, they would get hot, but no hotter than any other amp. In both setups, none of the Massive amps I had (Also ran a NX4 on my tweets) ever went into protect for a single reason. They were great amps, Id definitely buy them again.

Never clamped or benched them, but they were loud in my setup. Never ran any other amp in those two setups, but with the single N4 that almost fit in my glovebox, my 4 CVR 12s were doing a 142.7 @ 25hz, with both doors front open. Then when I doubled power and went to the PSIs, I was able to pull a 146 @ 25hz, again, both front doors wide open. So Im not 100% sure on the power they put out, but they definitely had me impressed, and Ive ran a ton of amps in my day.

Also, a local guy around here named Jethro (been in the game forever and a day) runs 6 of the Massive N4s on 6 SMD 15s, in a C-Pillar wall in a Tahoe. Even with just 2k per SMD 15, hes already doing upper 157s in a music truck.

I first had 4 Kicker CVR 12s on a single Massive N4. It was a great setup. Id play it all day long. Amp would get warm after about 15-20 minutes of super hard play, but it was under the seat in my truck, and didnt have much, if any, ventilation.
Then I upgraded to 4 PSI Platform 1 12s. Liked the amps so much, I just bought another. Again, after a while of playing it wide open, they would get hot, but no hotter than any other amp. In both setups, none of the Massive amps I had (Also ran a NX4 on my tweets) ever went into protect for a single reason. They were great amps, Id definitely buy them again.

Never clamped or benched them, but they were loud in my setup. Never ran any other amp in those two setups, but with the single N4 that almost fit in my glovebox, my 4 CVR 12s were doing a 142.7 @ 25hz, with both doors front open. Then when I doubled power and went to the PSIs, I was able to pull a 146 @ 25hz, again, both front doors wide open. So Im not 100% sure on the power they put out, but they definitely had me impressed, and Ive ran a ton of amps in my day.

Also, a local guy around here named Jethro (been in the game forever and a day) runs 6 of the Massive N4s on 6 SMD 15s, in a C-Pillar wall in a Tahoe. Even with just 2k per SMD 15, hes already doing upper 157s in a music truck.
wow im glad for the info cause i've never used massive audio products, always wanted to just never got around to buying some so this really is some helpful info for me, are they pretty effiecient, i always thought so due to their small footprint

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.