Is my amplifier busted?

Dunsmoor

Installed a sub in my silverado single cab behind the seat. Boss amp purchased brand new off amazon. The sub is a kenwood brand new off amazon too. For 3 months it worked perfect but then things went down hill. First, the sub would sound distorted like it was blown but then a short while later would sound mint again. Then it got worse and the sub started to stop all together randomly. At first I could get the sub to work again by pushing its edges inward a few times but then it stopped all together and hasn't come back.

I used a buddies $400 sub and attached the wires from his sub to my amps positive and negative wires and it sounded mint for a minute then sounded distorted then cut off.

Next, I replaced the fuse in my amp and cleaned and repositioned my ground. Still nothing. The amp shows power but sub isn't playing.

As of tonight (March 9th) I tried to do a run through of it quickly and check everything. All that happens now is the sub has some power going to it, I can feel it kick lightly with the bass, but its not nearly enough to be heard at all. Even with amp settings to the max it doesn't change from a light clean small thump. its almost like the volume for the subs bass is all the way down. adjusting the jvs head unit settings doesn't change anything either.

Anyone know what this could be? I'm out of ideas and am not looking to start purchasing a new system piece by piece.

You bought a boss amp what do you expect? People don't recommend boss for a reason. They are ****** amps.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

Try your sub on your friends amp

You bought a boss amp what do you expect? People don't recommend boss for a reason. They are ****** amps.

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

Try your sub on your friends amp

I'm running a Boss amp right now and it slams wired at .5 ohm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

IMG_20160310_074058_208_zpscvh9mkkf.jpg

I'm running a Boss amp right now and it slams wired at .5 ohm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
IMG_20160310_074058_208_zpscvh9mkkf.jpg
But you're lucky if it's doing 1/4 of its rated power even on the test bench. This guy probably bought a $50 boss off Amazon

Is was $100 bucks and so what if it only does 1000watts for $100.
I'm saying they are over rated and don't do any where near rated. OP probably bought the amp that claimed to be 1k and actually only does 100watts

You didn't sell it for $100 to a local friend?
Yep, then traded my 10" L7 for the amp back and a pair of Rockford P3 motors

Traded is back for the kicker l7
Yep, you know what's up

But you're lucky if it's doing 1/4 of its rated power even on the test bench. This guy probably bought a $50 boss off Amazon
Yeah, 1/4 of rated. KHA got 1k out of his clean and it says "4k"

Is was $100 bucks and so what if it only does 1000watts for $100.
Yeah, I don't think it's bad for the money. I'm legitimately impressed at how much it moves the Wardens. It moves my doors!

I'm saying they are over rated and don't do any where near rated. OP probably bought the amp that claimed to be 1k and actually only does 100watts
Yeah, I'm partially messing and partially impressed by what this amp can do. My doors shake at full tilt like the TFE made them at 3/4 max output

Yep, then traded my 10" L7 for the amp back and a pair of Rockford P3 motors

Yep, you know what's up

Yeah, 1/4 of rated. KHA got 1k out of his clean and it says "4k"

Yeah, I don't think it's bad for the money. I'm legitimately impressed at how much it moves the Wardens. It moves my doors!

Yeah, I'm partially messing and partially impressed by what this amp can do. My doors shake at full tilt like the TFE made them at 3/4 max output
Not talking **** about yours I'm just saying op probably bought the cheapest one he found that said it would do the power he wanted

Not talking **** about yours I'm just saying op probably bought the cheapest one he found that said it would do the power he wanted
My Boss 4k was $129.99 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.