is cone area really king????

Lol I saw your post in my thread and immediataly knew who this post was by. I have the same question, if you couldn't tell by my thread.

I want to say no, since you would also have to factor in each subs usable excursion. Not sure if thats correct or not, but if you had 32 12" subs that only moved 2mm, versus 12 8" subs that moved 2", the 12 8s would be louder. I think.

see my thought is that if you have one 18 playing at the same amplitude as two 8's the two 8's will be louder... why? because you may have less cone area but you are doubling the "signal"... signal is not the proper term but this seems correct to me... 5 8's vs. 3 12's, the twelves have the cone area but there are more 8's playing at the same amplitude... more speakers will propagate more sound correct?? I agree with kangaroo that the bigger drivers kill the lows but I beleive that it is more box dependant than anything.... please correct me if I am wrong.

It's not so much about cone area as much as it is about how much air you can move.

Just because you have more subs doesn't really mean it will be louder,power and cone area ,xmax, enclosure.....many factors come into play.

As far as playing low there are a few vids of SA-8s making cars flex at low frequency.

there are so many factors its impossible to tell.. Now then the same factors and the cone area wins out..

I.E two identical subs minus size a 18" on 3k in box specific for it vs a 12" on 3k in box specific.. All same vehicle box design(actual design not size) and the 18" would be louder.. you start getting multiple subs and box designs it gets complicated and no one can say with out testing it

do you get what I mean about how more speakers = louder than fewer larger speakers.... it is simple thinking but sometimes simple is the ticket.. more speakers should propagate more sound....

Bass is about nothing more than displacing air. In general, the more subwoofers you have (with all things equal), the more air you will displace, and the louder you will be.

Obviously 12 12s in an absolutely terrible box on 6,000w wouldnt be as loud as 2 18s on 6,000w in the right box, but for an everyday setup that plays a range of music, I prefer to run a bunch of speakers.

I tried a setup with 4 BTL 18s on like 17,000 watts. Was ok, but it stresses the subs to run that much power. Then I went for a setup with 24 15s on 20,000w and was much happier with the results for a daily driver. It played a wider range of music, was more efficient, was louder, and since the subs barely had any power to them, it would play all day with no equipment stress or failure.

Bass is about nothing more than displacing air. In general, the more subwoofers you have (with all things equal), the more air you will displace, and the louder you will be.
Obviously 12 12s in an absolutely terrible box on 6,000w wouldnt be as loud as 2 18s on 6,000w in the right box, but for an everyday setup that plays a range of music, I prefer to run a bunch of speakers.

I tried a setup with 4 BTL 18s on like 17,000 watts. Was ok, but it stresses the subs to run that much power. Then I went for a setup with 24 15s on 20,000w and was much happier with the results for a daily driver. It played a wider range of music, was more efficient, was louder, and since the subs barely had any power to them, it would play all day with no equipment stress or failure.
101.jpg

so for bass race( which I plan to compete in) the key is more drivers instead of more cone area.... correct?? of course, the two almost go hand in hand but we do have size limitations... no 24 15's for me either way 5 sa8s on 3k with 76 in^2 of port and a 30 hz tuning will get nasty...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.