Is bass a dying hobby?

Parker22
10+ year member

IL
I haven't posted on here in probably 5-7 years. I used to really be into bass and went through 4 systems back when I had a Ford Explorer. I since got a extended cab F-250 and decided I could not build a system that would be loud enough for my liking so I basically gave up on the bass hobby. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love it, but life got in the way as I needed a truck for work.

My question is: is the hobby of bass and loud systems dying? In the last few years I can say that I NEVER hear bass anymore. I can't even think of the last time I heard a good system, or someones trunk/hatch rattling for that matter. Has anyone else noticed this?

On a lighter note, what would someone recommend for a extended cab 08 F-250? (smaller in rear than a 09+ f-150) it is a "60/40" split and I would prefer to keep the "60" down and in use. Could I get good deep sound out of a pretty small ported box with a 8-10" sub? Or would I just be disappointed? Smallest system I had was a 10" w7 in a 1.6 cube ported box.... When I "quit" the hobby I was running 2 15's in a big ported box and it was loud as **** in the explorer...

I am just referring to hearing bass when daily driving. I hope the actual hobby grows as I think it is a great one to have. I just NEVER EVER notice good loud bass anymore!

I am just referring to hearing bass when daily driving. I hope the actual hobby grows as I think it is a great one to have. I just NEVER EVER notice good loud bass anymore!
I took out the 40 side for a guy at our shop and put a stand up box on that side with 2 12's in it, it was pretty impressive.

I notice it a lot more now that I've gotten into it, maybe just your area? If you pulled the one seat you could get a good size box in there, get a single 12 or 15 in a good box and you can get plenty loud I bet.

In my neck of the woods,... Canada lol,

Its just making its come back after some time

some of the event holders haven't done a show since 2008.. Some since 2003, but the past year it's really picking up. They say it was when the fast and the furious came out and everyone turned their focus on drifting and to import tuners. The market was hot for exhaust, euro lights, and sparco racing seats lol.. But I can't remember the last time I met someone wanting clear tail lights or a flying dragon decal for their car, so I guess that's really died

Idk seems like here in Virginia it has gotten at least in the competition realm 10-20% larger just in the past year.
yea here in ky we have meca of course its a large assoc. Then we have a more local comp scene called FCBC thats growing more every year. i compete in it but theres people in it from surrounding states as well that come from time to time.

Bass was a fad when everyone had to have it and now its sorta died down some which is good now at least I see kicker locally instead of just power ackstik and other junk

Bass was a fad when everyone had to have it and now its sorta died down some which is good now at least I see kicker locally instead of just power ackstik and other junk
One of my regulars at my job has a pair of RF 12's on 1k and they sound pretty decent, I always know when he shows up. Nothing that shakes the store, but I can hear it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.