IR remote - Electronics experts help!!

they make this thing that does that, you get these two pyramid shaped things with antennas sticking out of them, you place one next to your head unit and the other one goes where ever you want it to do, the idea is to extend the range of a ir remote control. problem is, i dont think you want to attach this big pyramid thing to your remote.

i dont think it is possible to add circuits to a head unit's remote control, those things are tiny and you dont have room to add stuff to it. another option is to get one of those house learning remote controls and try to modify that.

That's a great idea, and I considered that but came across the same problem you mentioned - The transponder being to big. I found this other remote extender but thought I could find somehthing better, let me know what you think. Thanks.

MODEL#: LF-UNIV

best-prices_1717_1346017

Don't forget that the same technology used with keyless entry systems could work for your application. I have no idea how to integrate that with your stereo at this moment in time(but I am leanring) but it is just another idea I am throwing out.

those IR/RF extenders would work fine. The piece in the car would need either a 12V power source or a power inverter to provide the 120VAC. The remote side would have to be battery powered and small enough to attach to the IR end of the remote.

Good ideas guys but a little extravagant.

As for adding a RF remote to a deck. It would be possible with the right knowledge and parts. You mayt have to design an external PCB to mount it on and hook it into your remotes existing receiver.

I wonder why they don't make HU remotes RF anyway it would be alot more convenient and could use the radio antenna to pick up the signals (mind you they could design alarms/starters to go off that antenna too)

All i gotta do is hunt around for that one and i'll give it a try... And about the RF transmitter that I would be connecting to the remote, I could probably take the casing off and have another moulded to blend in with the IR remote..

Thanks for the advice!

I would imagine the reason why manufacturers stopped using RF remote controls is because of their size. In order to control things via RF, you must modulate and amplify the signal. Also, the more functions needed within the remote, the more complicated the circuit will get. For real world examples, think of the remote control for a RC Plane or Car, and then the control for remote keyless entry. These are all examples of RF remotes. Infared on the other hand, can be controlled by either using different wavelengths of light, or pulsing the signal (digital signal). These things are much less complicated, with less chance for error, with the only disadvantage being line of sight.

Actually, that is not correct.

RF remotes can be quite small in size. I've seen/owned several rf controlled devices and the remotes have been no larger than an equivilant IR remote.

Bell Express-vu makes an RF remote for their Satellite systems that is just a slightly modified version of the IR remote.

The Biggest worry would be interferance from the outside world. RF would pick-up interferance a lot easier than IR.

BTW did you notice that this thread is over 2 1/2 years old?

You are an IDIOT, puppyhack - for bringing up a three year old thread

oh and FYI, IR-RF remote converters have gotten significantly smaller since 2002 as CarAudioAddict has said.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.