Interstate batteries = bad quality?

wew lad
5,000+ posts

wew lad inc
VA
So what's the deal, my mom had a group 25 interstate in her car for just over 2 years (conveniently out of the 2 yr warranty) and it's already failing load tests. I've never had batteries fail so quick, even when I rail on them with a system and stock alternator.

Some doofus tried to tell me the FL weather is the reason why, but then we'd have millions of batteries failing because of the FL weather so that's obviously a load of bs - although I have no doubt the heat doesn't help with longevity.

Tried talking to interstate and they don't want to stand by their product, and only offered some pathetic discount for the same battery that would likely fail due to being poor quality as well.

Time to invest some money into a quality group 25 AGM huh?

Why would you expect Interstate to do anything when the battery is out of warranty?
because the battery is just barely out of warranty, and the fact that this battery failed in under 3 years is pathetic. if they wanted to show that they stand by their batteries and not expect their consumer to buy a new battery every 3 years or switch to a different brand i feel like they should do more than tell me it's not their problem

any battery that fails within this time period, under completely normal operating conditions with no excess draw (the car is completely stock) is complete garbage or a defect imho

They give a set time for warranty. If you're unhappy about it, then by all means buy something else.

I get that you're mad and venting about it, but the fact is, it's out of warranty. I would not expect them to do anything

quality batteries last 5-7 years, or more. i dont expect them to warranty it, however imo i feel that they should stand by their batteries more than that considering the amount of advertising they do branding themselves as high quality replacements

the car is run every day, which essentially float charges it.

telling me an automotive battery that never drops below 80-90% charge needs to be float charged is a complete load of shit. I do agree it helps with longevity, but the gains we're talking considering how she uses that car are negligible.

does anyone have anything to add about interstate batteries and the quality of the lead they use etc? nothing of substance has really been added yet

I

quality batteries last 5-7 years, or more. i dont expect them to warranty it, however imo i feel that they should stand by their batteries more than that considering the amount of advertising they do branding themselves as high quality replacements
the car is run every day, which essentially float charges it.

telling me an automotive battery that never drops below 80-90% charge needs to be float charged is a complete load of shit. I do agree it helps with longevity, but the gains we're talking considering how she uses that car are negligible.

does anyone have anything to add about interstate batteries and the quality of the lead they use etc? nothing of substance has really been added yet
When u charge a battery it's best to do it slow like a 2amp charger and bring it slowly back up to full charge and then the charger with shut off and float and when the voltage drops again it the slowly charge again... A car that is use everyday is nothing like a charger. U turn the car on and it bring voltage up to 14.4 instantly

Last edited by a moderator:
I
When u charge a battery it's best to do it slow like a 2amp charger and bring it slowly back up to full charge and then the charger with shut off and float and when the voltage drops again it the slowly charge again... A car that is use everyday is nothing like a charger. U turn the car on and it bring violate up to 14.4 instantly
yes, i know how batteries like to be charged... lol it's not like i go to a reputable college where i learn about these things from professionals, oh wait

there's millions if not billions of batteries that have been used in cars without a float charger and they last 5+ years. you're still missing the point. also if the battery sits for long periods of time, which this battery does not.

float charging a battery that gets railed on like we do is very beneficial but im telling you right now that the benefits of doing this for her application are not worth it.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

My interstate died in a year and a half, what do you expect from a $80 battery though?
yeah theyre cheap, she paid around 110 for it. i expect it to last longer than a year and a half or 2 years though lol. sounds like im not buying an interstate battery ever again though

Buy an Optima

j/.k of course!!

Batteries seem to have a shorter lifespan than ever before. Even good ones aren't lasting as long as they should.

I do recall spending less than 100 bucks for a battery. Now they're twice as much.

yeah thats what i figured, all the good things about interstate are just PR or people that got lucky with their batts idk

i even talked to a guy here who sells interstate batts and he told me himself that he sees them fail without cause and attributes it to poor manufacturing

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.