Interior Paint Job On My Celica Done By Me

If you guys want to do a quality job on interior parts, here are the steps to take:
1) Sand the part with 400 grit sandpaper until it's either roughed up well or the texture is gone.

2) Primer with sandable primer, let dry a couple hours and then sand with 1000 grit, repeat this a couple times. I recommend Duplicolor sandable primer.

3)Spray your part with an Acrylic Lacquer color coat. I recommend Duplicolor if they have your color, if not go to paintscratch.com and they can put your color in a spray can. Spray three light coats sperated by 15 minutes of drying time between each coat. After you get the part covered with color, sand with 1200 grit sandpaper very lightly, then clean thouroughly and add more color coat. Repeat this process 3 times or so.

4) Spray a light coat of clear coat on your part. I recommend Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer clear in the "truck and van" can...it has a rattle ball and mixes the clear better than the other can. After the light coat dries for 10 minutes, spray another heavier coat, let it dry then another coat. After these coats have dried for a couple hours, wet sand with 2000 grit. This clear is very thing so 2000 grit is necessary. Repeat the spraying process a couple times. Get a good coat on the parts.

5) Allow the clear coated part to cure for 48 hours, then wetsand very lightly with 2000 grit concentrating on the flatter parts. Be very careful not to sand through. This step should be done sparingly, it's not even necessary to do it if you are worried.

6) Get some Scratch Out scratch remover in the yellow bottle. It can be bought at all auto parts stores and Wal Mart. I recommend this because it's not too aggresive and since the spray paints go on very thin.

7)Now put on a coat of your favortie wax on the parts and buff until you are happy.

Here are some pictures of the parts I painted using these steps:

Headlights, Grille Center Bar and Chevy Emblem

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

I used a guide similar to this one. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Almost the same.

I bet you have a big ass wing on the car too....
nope no body kit at all. Im keeping the body stock just chaging the rims and lowering it, and doing a 3sgte swap soon. I would no way in hell let my car look 'riced out'

GLN, how hard was it to take ur lights apart? That looks really sharp!! i wanna do mine, but i dont think i can get em apart.. and how did u get them back 2gether?? did u silicone the edges 2 ensure no water would get in>?

OP, got pic of whole car??

GLN, how hard was it to take ur lights apart? That looks really sharp!! i wanna do mine, but i dont think i can get em apart.. and how did u get them back 2gether?? did u silicone the edges 2 ensure no water would get in>?

OP, got pic of whole car??

It was a little bit of a pain. You have to bake them in your oven at 150-200 for about 20 minutes and then pry them apart. To reassemble I used silicone and it has worked well.

i went to a paint shop that does interior paint on cars they custom made me the paint to the color i wanted it etc its high quality paint

very expensive too but its worth every penny and it looks glassy shiny its really nice paint!

i was going to have them do the work but they were chargin to much so i just bought the paint n did it my self it was frustrating taking everything off tho lol
Did you use a clear coat? or some sort of finishing coat? if so what?

not bad, but yeah i would stick to two colors i plan on doing my interior one day too, can anyone give me a ball park figure on how much the paint cost?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.