Interesting subwoofer dilemma

pd09d

My dad and I installed a subwoofer in my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 about 2 months ago. I took the interior apart and put it back together, he did the rest (he knows more about this than I do, I just let him take over). I think he said he hooked up the new amplifier to run through the back speakers (or something to that effect).

The subwoofer itself works fine, but the kicker is it only works fine when the audio in my truck is moved to the right side. I can adjust which speakers my truck plays music out of from the radio, and it works like it is supposed to only from the right side. When the audio is on both sides or the left side only, it hardly produces any bass. Does anybody have any suggestions for how I can fix this?

Thanks guys!

My dad and I installed a subwoofer in my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 about 2 months ago. I took the interior apart and put it back together, he did the rest (he knows more about this than I do, I just let him take over). I think he said he hooked up the new amplifier to run through the back speakers (or something to that effect).
The subwoofer itself works fine, but the kicker is it only works fine when the audio in my truck is moved to the right side. I can adjust which speakers my truck plays music out of from the radio, and it works like it is supposed to only from the right side. When the audio is on both sides or the left side only, it hardly produces any bass. Does anybody have any suggestions for how I can fix this?

Thanks guys!
..and this issue just started, or has it been like this since the initial install?

he probobly used a line out converter(i think thats what its called) and only ran the signal from the right channel. the shop that did my first ever instal did the same **** thing. drove me nuts and then i realized what the jack holes did and fixed it myself.

Matt

he probobly used a line out converter(i think thats what its called) and only ran the signal from the right channel. the shop that did my first ever instal did the same **** thing. drove me nuts and then i realized what the jack holes did and fixed it myself.
Matt
I agree with mat

He should have used both rear speakers to get the input signal, not just one.

Thanks guys!

To all

Thanks for the responses! Sorry I haven't responded sooner, between school and work I have not had a minute of free time.

The odd thing is today when I put audio to the left side strictly the subwoofer works well then, too. So, either side works well, just not both.

Quackhead

To be honest, I'm not sure. I just recently started fiddling around with the radio audio options. It has always had less bass coming from both speakers from the get-go. The odd thing is today when I put audio to the left side strictly the subwoofer works well then, too. So, either side works well, just not both.

mat3833 heebs 09gts

I am not sure what a line out converter is, but he hooked up some wires to both the back left speaker and the back right speaker, and had me check to see when the back left speaker "pushed out" and "pushed in". How would I check to see if this was the problem?

mylows10

What does out of phase mean? How could I check to see if that is the problem?

nismos14

I am pretty sure he did, but how would I know or be able to check if he did or didn't?

akheathen

I've been trying to get ahold of him, but unfortunately I can't and we live about 500 miles away and I can't drive down there. I might be able to tell you what we did if you could tell me the difference between the two amp inputs are. Also, I'm not sure of the amp but he bought the subwoofer and amp for his truck and said it the amp had sufficient power to power the bass.

Thanks again guys!

It honestly sounds like its out of phase. Try taking one set of wires and switch the pos and neg. If it gets louder with the channel cetered your problem is solved.

Snoopdan

I'm in Tallahassee, Fl

mylows10 thorshammer1

Would I swap those wires on the amplifier itself? Also, it has started working on the left side strictly also, and the ride side strictly, just not when they are both in use. Does that change your recommendation?

Thanks guys!

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

TitoThePirate

What is the RCAS?

if u were near central florida id come give it a look, but ur tooooooo far for me. lol

to check for out of phase you need to pull the sub out of the box and switch the + and - wires. basicly take the + wire and put it on the - and take the - and put it on the +. if it works, great! if not then you might have to do the same thing where he used the Left and Right rear signals to run to the amp.

Matt

Matt

Sounds easy enough, I will try it. Hopefully it works, if not I'm not really sure what I'll do. Just keep listening to music on the left side only since it started working on left side only in addition to right side only until I can get some money to take it to an actual audio shop. Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.