Installer ditched passive xover, but it's not active either

Participant count
  • Participants list

ItsHammer

CarAudio.com Recruit
Florida
So I took my doors apart today to check the xover setting on the passive network because I've been having to drastically cut my eq settings so I was curious if they had it set to a positive dB slope and maybe that's why everything sounded so harsh but come to find out they didn't even use the passive xover. Not exactly sure how they have everything set up but I do know have wires running from the amp to the factory speaker wiring and from there they go to the mids but I'm not sure about the tweeter. The stock tweeter had a built in capacitor I believe but I don't think these new tweeters do. Is it normal for installers to bypass a passive xover? It's not set up active either. It's very strange. Any thoughts?

Yikes.

What speakers were installed?
Just some powerbass 2xl comps on a powerbass 4ch. He said they didn't need the crossovers because they get crossed over in the amp. Still doesn't make sense to me. I'm surprised the tweeters haven't blown if they're getting a full signal. Even if I hpf it on the head unit, or even just the amp, those tweeters are getting way to many frequencies. This is most likely why my eq has everything - 6 negative dB in the curve. Not so bad in the 300 - 1.5k range but everything after that is at a minimum -6db, some even lower than that. I feel like this is a way for the shop to set customers up to fail for more sales. Possibly. Idk. Either way, it's a learning experience. I've been planning my upgrade since the first week of having these because I just wasn't impressed. I'll do it myself next time and bug you fools for help 😁

Quick side note, the 4channel was purchased because I was running coax in the back. Wasn't until after I got it that I realized imaging was better without them. I used to hear about it all the times years ago but never fully understood. Now I do.

So no, definitely not running active off of that 4c just incase there would be some confusion. I don't think you really can go active with it anyway. No multipliers and my head unit eq only goes uop to 250hz on the high-pass

They could very well be crossed over at the amp, depending on what amp you have running them(with multipliers), and if you're running active. It's quite unusual to ditch the passive crossovers in a set like that just to cross them at the amp...

Have you ever installed a system before?

If your tweeters are indeed seeing a full range signal, they will blow. I'm actually surprised they have not blown yet.

You plan on leaving it this way? buy some 2 way crossovers on ebay for $20 and put it together right...

Or go back to the shop that installed the system and ask for them to put crossovers in...

Just left the shop, the crossovers are there they were just in the kick panels. Why they told me that they didn't use the crossovers is beyond me. I almoat got this guy fired. 😂

Best part, they were going to charge me 100.00 just to show me where they were mounted. He said if the crossovers aren't there, his installer get fired. But if they are there, I have to pay a 100.00 labor fee for taking apart my doors again. Crazy. Luckily they were mounted under my dash by the kick panels so I didn't have to get into an argument over ridiculous charges

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.