Best way too run 2 mids and one tweet amp ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

94 ranger

CarAudio.com Recruit
I've never ran more then one 4 channel amp for interiors obviously using the headunits front and rear RCA's.
I have 8 mids and ,4 bullet Tweeter's
Two DS 1200x4
And one DS 800x4

I will not include sub and amp in my concerns with this scenario as I am just gonna she the sub out from the deck.

This is for 2 mid amps and one tweet amp .

Im pretty quick to catch on with explanations as long as it's A-Z steps and not too brief , I think this requires someone too at least lay out my options with the particular amps I'm using . I haven't found one write up or illustration yet to show the best way.

I'm assuming a dsp is needed or line driver but I am unsure of which one would be best🤔 I'm only seeing mostly 8 channel out which would mean the ability too run two 4 channel amps, not 3 amps .
Using a Prv dsp was my first idea

More importantly how to run the rcas ? How many are used right off the back of the Radio and if there's a big mess of y adapters in this situation.

If I plug in a set of ,4 channel rcas out the headunit to the dsp input side .. whats done from that point on with the 3 amps and getting rcas ran too then from the dsp.

Last edited:
I've never ran more then one 4 channel amp for interiors obviously using the headunits front and rear RCA's.
I have 8 mids and ,4 bullet Tweeter's
Two DS 1200x4
And one DS 800x4

I will not include sub and amp in my concerns with this scenario as I am just gonna she the sub out from the deck.

This is for 2 mid amps and one tweet amp .

Im pretty quick to catch on with explanations as long as it's A-Z steps and not too brief , I think this requires someone too at least lay out my options with the particular amps I'm using . I haven't found one write up or illustration yet to show the best way.

I'm assuming a dsp is needed or line driver but I am unsure of which one would be best🤔 I'm only seeing mostly 8 channel out which would mean the ability too run two 4 channel amps, not 3 amps .
Using a Prv dsp was my first idea

More importantly how to run the rcas ? How many are used right off the back of the Radio and if there's a big mess of y adapters in this situation.

If I plug in a set of ,4 channel rcas out the headunit to the dsp input side .. whats done from that point on with the 3 amps and getting rcas ran too then from the dsp.

If you have all of the parameters you need on the amps themselves to the outputs you can just split the RCAs with the pre-outs or y-splitters, no need to do DSPs unless you want them to have a complicated sound profile that the amp alone doesn't allow. Line drivers aren't necessarily needed either if the signal is strong from the get-go. 5v is plenty for a lot of wiring.

In terms of wiring it depends on if you want your fader to work and if you have a timing setting on the head unit. If you don't care about the fader and don't want to have delays between sets of speakers then there's no reason to use more than the original 4. Left and right is the only important thing here, you could even use a single RCA pair to drive the whole setup using the pre-outs or y-splitters. The signal won't need boosted unless your signal was weak to begin with, even the full length of a car isn't going to significantly damage the integrity of a 4v and above signal.

If you have all of the parameters you need on the amps themselves to the outputs you can just split the RCAs with the pre-outs or y-splitters, no need to do DSPs unless you want them to have a complicated sound profile that the amp alone doesn't allow. Line drivers aren't necessarily needed either if the signal is strong from the get-go. 5v is plenty for a lot of wiring.

In terms of wiring it depends on if you want your fader to work and if you have a timing setting on the head unit. If you don't care about the fader and don't want to have delays between sets of speakers then there's no reason to use more than the original 4. Left and right is the only important thing here, you could even use a single RCA pair to drive the whole setup using the pre-outs or y-splitters. The signal won't need boosted unless your signal was weak to begin with, even the full length of a car isn't going to significantly damage the integrity of a 4v and above signal.

Still confused.... So how many y adapters do I need to get ? Two do this with 3 amps , they don't have strapping capabilities least I don't think.

My radio is 5v preouts so by the time it's done I don't know if it will be too much signal loss.
How many times do I need to y split off of Each headunit Preout too be a let to run rcas to 3 Four channel amps ?

Do I need to split front L twice and make 4 channels out of it. Then split front R twice and make.4 channels out of that . Essentially running two amps off one Front left and Front R .
That still leaves Rear preouts available.

I don't know ... I really think a dsp would be beneficial for the voltage increase and be able to have many other tweaks on top of that.
Still don't know how too wire 3 amps off a dsp still seems there has to be split rcas with a dsp . Pretty sure I need a specific dsp with enough channel outputs
Why isn't there a 4 channel in 12 channel out dsp. That would be 3 amps exactly. Or am I wrong ?

Still confused.... So how many y adapters do I need to get ? Two do this with 3 amps , they don't have strapping capabilities least I don't think.

My radio is 5v preouts so by the time it's done I don't know if it will be too much signal loss.
How many times do I need to y split off of Each headunit Preout too be a let to run rcas to 3 Four channel amps ?

So on your amplifiers I guess there is no pre-outs, nor is there any variable high/low pass filters, just fixed ones. Because of that I guess assuming that you would want to set them up differently it may be worth having something like a dsp. Alternatively if you want the mid drivers to all remain at the same frequency range then you could have 4 rca cables, and use 2 (left and right front for example) for the tweeters and 2 (left and right rear) for the mids. If you want any variability beyond what the head unit can provide though you'll want to start getting into DSPs.

If you do want that setup with the mids all set to the same cutoffs as each other, with those amps, you'll need 4 rca wires per amp, so a total of 12. 4 for tweeters (2 y-adapters there) and 8 for mid (6 y-adapters there). Your radio being at 5v is excellent, so you should be fine on signal integrity with all those adapters.
Do I need to split front L twice and make 4 channels out of it. Then split front R twice and make.4 channels out of that . Essentially running two amps off one Front left and Front R .
That still leaves Rear preouts available.
Since your amps have no highpass/lowpass filters that are worth using on tweeters you'd do 1 split from front left and one from front right, giving you 4 RCAs on the front channel to run to whichever amp is driving them. For mid drivers you'd do the same thing with the rear left and rear right except instead of 1 y-adapter each you'd use 3 each to give you a total of 8 RCAs to run to whichever amps are driving the mids.

If you do things that way your fader will control the volume of tweeters vs mid instead of front vs rear. The high pass and low pass filters for each crossover range will need to be set inside the head unit. I think if you have 5v signal your head unit should also have different crossovers for each channel, but if not that'll be a fundamental problem with this setup (probably forcing you to get at least a single DSP or an amp with more crossover options).

Last edited:

This is what I vision somewhere does the 3rd amp tweeter amp for into this scenario for rcas
So on your amplifiers I guess there is no pre-outs, nor is there any variable high/low pass filters, just fixed ones. Because of that I guess assuming that you would want to set them up differently it may be worth having something like a dsp. Alternatively if you want the mid drivers to all remain at the same frequency range then you could have 4 rca cables, and use 2 (left and right front for example) for the tweeters and 2 (left and right rear) for the mids. If you want any variability beyond what the head unit can provide though you'll want to start getting into DSPs.

If you do want that setup with the mids all set to the same cutoffs as each other, with those amps, you'll need 4 rca wires per amp, so a total of 12. 4 for tweeters (2 y-adapters there) and 8 for mid (6 y-adapters there). Your radio being at 5v is excellent, so you should be fine on signal integrity with all those adapters.

Since your amps have no highpass/lowpass filters that are worth using on tweeters you'd do 1 split from front left and one from front right, giving you 4 RCAs on the front channel to run to whichever amp is driving them. For mid drivers you'd do the same thing with the rear left and rear right except instead of 1 y-adapter each you'd use 3 each to give you a total of 8 RCAs to run to whichever amps are driving the mids.

If you do things that way your fader will control the volume of tweeters vs mid instead of front vs rear. The high pass and low pass filters for each crossover range will need to be set inside the head unit. I think if you have 5v signal your head unit should also have different crossovers for each channel, but if not that'll be a fundamental problem with this setup (probably forcing you to get at least a single DSP or an amp with more crossover options).

Now I fully understand ... The RCA setup .
But man i still feel like that's really choppin into the voltage output splitting so many times , not sure if there's a formula for how much you loose per split .

My main goal is to really tune this mid drivers and I'm not sure the Sony ax8000 has the bells and whistles to do all that ..

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_234824.jpg
    IMG_20200512_234824.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 158
This is what I vision somewhere does the 3rd amp tweeter amp for into this scenario for rcas

Now I fully understand ... The RCA setup .

Your photo is only wrong in that you're using both front and rear for the mids, they should only use rear on the head unit while the tweeter takes the front. The rest will be dealt with in the head unit options.

"Low-Pass & High-Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer preout features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz. The front & rear speaker high-level and low-level outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off."

For more information about how to do it:

But man i still feel like that's really choppin into the voltage output splitting so many times , not sure if there's a formula for how much you loose per split .
The voltage will remain more or less unaffected. The difference is the extra length of wire and sometimes terminals have more resistance than the internals of the wire length, but negligible vs a 5v signal. The resistance on the RCA line won't go up much due to the cables, rather it'll be because of the extra terminals sharing the same line. This doesn't affect net voltage though, it will be a strong signal everywhere so long as you don't route it 200ft down the street and back (voltage drop due to wire resistance).

My main goal is to really tune this mid drivers and I'm not sure the Sony ax8000 has the bells and whistles to do all that ..
It doesn't have as fine tuning as you'd get from a knob on a DSP, that's fair to say. If I were you I'd go ahead and hook it up utilizing the head unit's high pass and low pass filters, then if you're not happy upgrade to a DSP for finer controls. Judging by what Crutchfield said (and I pasted above) it looks like the weakness may be in the inability to cut off high frequencies from the mids, but those numbers seem wrong. Until I saw that limitation in the menu myself I think that's them trying to lump in the LPF with the HPF and forgetting to mention the full range of one of them. That being said, your sony ax8000 has a lot of bells and a lot of whistles, it's a pretty good head unit by way of features.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.