Installed cd player in my truck, No power to it?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ntg68
10+ year member

Maine
Hey guys i just came across this site, seems worth being on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I took my cd player out of my exploder, bought the wiring harness for my 2000 dakota, and went to work.

I matched each wire as described ON the wires ( every single wire says what it is ) I then plugged in the new cd player and turned on the key, no results //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

In the dakota, there is 3 plugs plugged into the stock radio, gray/black/ground?

I plugged the Gray/Black into the wiring harness, and plugged the ground back into the stock radio ( just to see if it worked before putting the dash back together.)

Nothing happens, no power at all to my cd player....

HMMMM I thought, and I figured i screwed something up, blew a fuse etc.

So, I plugged the gray/black plugs back into the stock radio, still works -.-

I thought i had wired the harness incorrectly so i checked to make sure every wire was connected to the wire that said the same thing, they are.

So I guess my question is... Do i have to connect the STOCK ground plug into my ground wires on my harness? ( I figured that would be the same as grounding it to the stock deck? )

OR

How can i tell if my cd player went to ****?

I think ive given the right info, if not lemme know and i will tell you!

PS. I taped the remote wire for now since i havent run my sub power wires from the battery.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks

Nate

connect factory ground plug to the aftermarket wire harness. get dmm and check power and ground at the plug for the aftermarket deck and at the end of the factory wires before the vehicle match harness. Make sure your pins are straight and connecting properly. Double check aftermarket fuse on deck.

First off, thanks for the replies!

Secondly, still a little confused : |

you need to check the power , acc, and ground wires for continuity
How so?

connect factory ground plug to the aftermarket wire harness. get dmm and check power and ground at the plug for the aftermarket deck and at the end of the factory wires before the vehicle match harness. Make sure your pins are straight and connecting properly. Double check aftermarket fuse on deck.
What setting do i use? I just got one but i am not fully sure how to use the thing.

Thanks

Nate

you need a dmm to check for voltage at the yellow and red wire ,and you can also use it to make sure the ground is good
yes i have a meter, which setting do i use to test this?

thanks

nate

you are measuring DC voltage. so set to VDC. symbol has a dashed line above a solid line.

with the DMM black lead on HU ground, place the DMM red lead on both the HU ignition (red) and then battery (yellow). yellow will read 12V (or more) all the time, car off. red will read 12V (or more) only with the key in ignition position.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help.

I had everything right, I just didnt plug in the **** antenna jack.

I brought it to a friend and he plugged it all in, including the radio antenna... WORKS

Lmao now I know thats a ground //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Again, thanks for the help!

Till next time,

Nate

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.