Installed AQ SDC2.510.

hatedonmostly
5,000+ posts

throwin' hunnits, hunnits
Detroit, MI
Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab

Old sub stage:

Two 12" Infinity Reference 1250w woofers.

Two 0.64 ft^3 boxes sealed.

New:

One AQ SDC2.510 inverted.

1.59 ft^3 @ ~38 Hz ported box.

900 overrated watts from a Hifonics amp @ 2 ohms.

I wasn't sure what was going to be louder, the two 12's had much more cone area, but each sub was in boxes that were undersized and each sub was being abused off of 450 watts, opposed to the 300 they are rated at. They handled the power fine with the gain maxxxxxed out (sounded shitty without) until the volume hit a certain level, then they'd start receiving a clipped signal and sound shitty. I adjusted the gain on the amp when installing the new woofer.

The AQ is in a box at about rated size and the box is also ported. The sub has a massive amount of excursion compared to the 12's and has a higher power handling. Because of this, I didn't know what was going to be louder.

After testing:

-The AQ smashes the low notes so much better than the two 12's. They had no excursion compared to the 1" or so of the AQ. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

-At 40+ Hz, the two 12's seemed louder. But it's hard to tell, and with the weather getting cold, I haven't been able to test the loudness of it with the windows down (it's a truck).

-With the windows up, the AQ seems louder and has much better SQ.

-I was playing a song that gets WAY low, and was pushing it too hard for a little too long and the sub started smelling. Didn't sound like it was distorting though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I turned it down, and my cousin asked, "You still have to break them in, right?"... Yeah, totally forgot about that. So when they get broken in, they should be a bit louder.

Overall, I'm still iffy. I gave up more legroom than I wanted to already, and broke my old center console in the process; that's why I ran the sub inverted, I didn't want to bother putting it back in so I kept it out like that for looks. I'm eventually going to put it in normally, and I'm worrying about losing SPL from how much airspace I'm going to lose.

I still have to clean up my install, and want to make the box look better. Maybe plans for next weekend.

Only pic so far, my install needs work.

1003091533.png

Have you broken them in yet?
Thanks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Supposedly. The suspension is much more soft now. Plus, they've been hammering away for roughly 20 hours now.

Supposedly. The suspension is much more soft now. Plus, they've been hammering away for roughly 20 hours now.
I'm going to go out and see how soft the suspension is, and go for a drive to break them in a bit more. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

nice choice man. i went with the hdc312 and i love them. id love to see some more pics of the install once cleaned up =P

nice i think it' look clean with a custom built center console with like a suspended armrest so you can still show off the sub. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

and yeah the aq suspension is one of the tightest suspensions ive felt brand new, takes some time at a moderate listening level to break them things in, but they do some serious work.

nice choice man. i went with the hdc312 and i love them. id love to see some more pics of the install once cleaned up =P
Nice choice. When I finish up the box and redo the wiring more stealth, for sure. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

nice i think it' look clean with a custom built center console with like a suspended armrest so you can still show off the sub. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
and yeah the aq suspension is one of the tightest suspensions ive felt brand new, takes some time at a moderate listening level to break them things in, but they do some serious work.
I broke my center console's cupholder in the removal of it somehow, and the lid has been broken for a while so I'm going to hit a junkyard with some C4C Dakotas that have the center console in, put the sub in the box normally, and put the center console in, moved forward a few inches.

This way it'll be more hidden (I live in Detroit, and the middle seat console, so I can put it up when parked and make it invisible), I'll still have a center console to store my stuff, and when the center console is down, I'll be able to see the excursion. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

It was super tight when I got it, and it still feels like it did when I got it. It's only been a few days since the install and I don't drive much down here at campus so it'll be a few weeks before it gets broken in.

After a little drive today, I've found that it gets very low but falls off on the top end. Doesn't seem as loud as what I had before. I hope it gets a lot louder when it breaks in. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

as for mine so far it dosent seem to get too low and the highernotes sound amazing. though its only in 2cf sealed box. once mine is broken in i hope it gets better with the lows and the new box should help

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.