Installed amp/sub & new door speakers last night, battery dead in the morning!

Participant count
  • Participant list

michalik.piotr6
10+ year member

Seattle
Guys, wtf? Really straight install! Remote turn on hooked up to the correct wire, all cleanly done, Alpine HU to Alpine mono amp, Clarion components in the doors. I'm baffled! Only thing I can think of is bad ground??? Yet, it all works/plays fine! Help! Had to drive the gf's car to work this morn!

Thought about that......checked and....NO. All the doors were shut too. I have a freakin' short somewhere now?! I have a one year old Optima yellow top so hopefully I will be able to bring it back up and have it good as new. Its on the charger now..... Can't drive it till i figure it out though.

Now here is the kicker.... (i think the batt was charged the whole time afterall, i was just late for work and assumed it was dead and plugged it into the charger w/o checking) after doing nothing other then taking the key in and out of the ignition and turning it like an idiot i got it to light up the idiot lights once in a while but when i turned it to the final position to start the car all would go dead. a called up a buddy of mine who said to disconnect the battery, the pos and neg for a few and hook it back up to "re set the computer". i disconnected the neg only first and no change then i pulled the pos and magic. starts as always! this truck has never had starting problems and matter of fact just had the 120k tune up done a week ago. so connected everything back up and drove around this evening. no issues. will see what tomorrow morning brings. i don't like this though. any suggestions???

the amp is one of those alpine mono 450 watt ones, i don't have a capacitator, stock alternator. i do have connected to the positive terminal on the battery a few accessories though. front hella 500s, rear hella optilux but either of those are rarly on and were not on yeasterday. i also have my HID's connected to the battery to operate the magnetic hi beam shield but again, i never even used my hi's last night. so i got 4 diff things off the + on the battery including the amp now making it five but other then the 2 hid connections, the other two were not activated last night. is it possible i have too much shiat connected to the pos terminal??? if so, whats my alternative? i feel like i need all those things and others have that or more w/o issues. thanks in advance a lot for any tips.

really bizzare, never had anything like this happen before. i'm kinda worried about it happening again or worse yet, messing something up permanently all the while. but really, this is all very straight forward and cleanly done. only thing that may be or worry is all the things connected to the + termianl but they are not all on at once, ever. i think a power capacitator is just a band aid and i do not need it anyways for 450watts, plus i know my problem is unique and not your ordinary weak batt, alt, not charging, draining issue. i will get a power distribution block just to clean things up i think, just run 0 gauge off the + to the block and then all the accessories off that..... doubt that will help (not that apperantly theres a problem now, b/c i've been driving it last night and this morn and it starts fine).

i'm just wondering what the hell happened? it was fine right after install then the next day it was completely dead (no warning lights, no power at all) the the idiont lights come on intermittedly yet still no power and no turning over then i disconnect the positive off the batt and magic? it all works? ugh....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.