install world

caliece
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
hey i just had a question is it just me or is it that it seems like most installers today are getting lazy and slopy with installs, and most shops are basiclly out to get money and not careing about the art of being a true installer just want to get a few comments on this?

hey i just had a question is it just me or is it that it seems like most installers today are getting lazy and slopy with installs, and most shops are basiclly out to get money and not careing about the art of being a true installer just want to get a few comments on this?
Yeah, it's getting real bad too. Audio Excellence here in San Diego did an install for me about a 1 1/2 years ago. I gave them a roll of Raammat and Ensolite to install, a PPI Processor (to run active to a 3way setup), 3 amps to install, and a box to make for my 18" MT. What I got back was horrible, I asked for a 6c/ft ported box tuned to 32hz and they made me a sealed one saying I didn't have enough room (turns out I actually have about 10c/ft in back), a ****ed up 3way active setup (I even gave them a wiring diagram of how I wanted it wired and told them not to turn on my stereo at all until I could set the xovers myself), and they blew my tweeter. I was so dissappointed with my setup that I stripped everything just to find out that they only put 1c/ft piece of raammat behind each front door speaker. I called them and they were like, "oh yeah, we have a whole box of items here that we didn't need to use". They told me that they just deadened the problem areas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

Oh yeah, they also blamed me for the blown tweeter because I told them to not use the xovers because I wanted to go active and they weren't meant for that. Even though they had my system loud as hell when I got there, when I specifically told them not to turn it on! I'm getting pissed just thinking about it right now.

i guess it all depends on where you go. i mean even the BB and CC installers are "certified installers" but out of the 3 guys i know that install there, if i said to them "3 way active setup" or "big 3 upgrade" 2 of the 3 would look at me like i was speaking a different language.

just by being a member of this forum and DIY i feel i know more about car audio than both of the guys.

car audio shops are geting way lazy and way un informed.i said something about the big three to a install shop by me and they said what is that.i justlaughed and said look it up.dude i would be pisted if a shop had blew my tweeter and didnt use all my rammat.

The same trend is happening everywhere, kids in the jobs are in it for cash and nothing more, sometimes you find people that really have a passion for it.

But on the side of the shop's 99.9% of the people coming in just want to make some noise and really do not "Listen" to music. You would not believe how few 4ch amps we sale.

Exactly some installers are just in it for the cash, saddly but i hear what your saying about people today and how they dont give a F@!$ about the install and just want you to just throw their stuff in and just make it work lol i come across them everyday because im a geeksquad autotech at bestbuy. I guess when the people stop caring about the quality of work it in turn has an affect on the installer over time because they get so use to people like that they just treat every install the same but as installers we need to treat every install as a work of art or if you dont want to go that far then basically just be professional and know what the hell your doing its more than just a job for me seriously.

It's just like any other job, guys. The more installs they churn out, the more money the shop ultimately makes.

They don't have time to meticulously install everything as if it were their own system. If you want that type of work done, you have to do it yourself...

but with thinking like that is part of the problem my problem is just do the stuff right im not saying be perfect just do the stuff right and be professional about what your doing

Exactly some installers are just in it for the cash, saddly but i hear what your saying about people today and how they dont give a F@!$ about the install and just want you to just throw their stuff in and just make it work lol i come across them everyday because im a geeksquad autotech at bestbuy. I guess when the people stop caring about the quality of work it in turn has an affect on the installer over time because they get so use to people like that they just treat every install the same but as installers we need to treat every install as a work of art or if you dont want to go that far then basically just be professional and know what the hell your doing its more than just a job for me seriously.
Could not of said it better myself. I have seen it time and time again. People pm me or aim me asking why there system does not work after there friend installed if for 20 bucks. I go take a look at it and the factory harness is cut, wires are hanging ever were, fuses are blown. When I do an install I do it once and make sure it is right. One install I did the factory harness was cut and after wiring everything up and he left. He called me up saying one of the speakers was cutting in and out. So I told him I will come to him. Not only did the guy before me cut the factory harness off but started to cut the wires further in the dash. So I had to re run new wires from the speakers to the head unit. I have seen way to many crappy installs from people AND shops.

Yeah shops are getting lazy and are dum. I asked my local shop if they had a TL and they didnt even know what that was. I dunno, I think it may have been the person at the counter.

there's a few shops here that have been open for 15-20+years and those are the ones I usually go to.

I try to stay away from any of the new ones that keep popping up, and there is a lot of them here

I know not to buy form a shop that says "you dont use 10gauge for subs, only power."

I have trouble trusting people, i think thats why i'd rather do it myself even if it takes mer longer since i am busy most of the time.

Plus it saves money and you can't balme anyone for mistakes.

My local best buy installed my mom's satellite radio and to run the power wire ya know what the did?

lol, they literally took the power plug with the cigarette plug end, and used ELECTRICAL TAPE to tape wires to the positive and negative parts on the plug, then just went to the fuse panel and wired into one of the fuses...

facepalm

EDIT: Oh and I went into a local shop and while talking to the clerk they had no idea what the big 3 was, and said adding batteries was stupid, I needed a cap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

There has always been a shortage of true craftsman, but it seems like today there is a lack of people with basic skills such as common sense when it comes to installing anything, most people just want a basic install, done right.

But sometimes that seems like asking to much, you can usually spot them around here because the same guys just move all over jumping from one side of town to the other never establishing much of anything , but jacking people out of there money

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

caliece

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
caliece
chicago il
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date