Install In Boat for Intermediate Level Technician

Participant count
  • Participant list

ak49er

Hey, I dabbled in this stuff a bit back in school, but I have not had an aftermarket stereo since.

I though I lost the face plate for my stereo in my boat, so I went a bought a new head unit. After install I found the old face plate.

Original Head Unit: Kenwood Exceleon KDC-X695 ( 6 pre-amp Outs)

Front Rear Sub

New Head Unit: Sony DSX-MS60 (4 pre-amp outs)

Front and Rear/Sub

Amp: Viper 1100.5 (5 channel Amp)

Speakers: 2ea M-600, 4ea M-800, 1ea 10" SUB, the 6 and 8's have built in tweeters.

I cannot quote how the original speaker wiring was done, but the old head unit ( 6 channels) could provide Fader control between the Front and Rear, and also give me a separate control for the Sub.

EDIT: I believe the front four speakers 2 M-6 and 2 M-8s are wired together somehow.

The new stereo ( 4 channel) might do the same, or my amp might do it, or maybe the way I wire the speakers? But after my install I only had control over the front four speakers (L/R Balnce) and Sub Level, but as I had no signal going to the rear speakers, I have no Rear Speakers sound.

So the stereo guy at the shop that I BOUGHT the stereo form, told me to just use RCA Splitters to get sound to the rear......

At the least I can just put the old head unit in and restore it to the original install, but with all the fancy IN/OUTS on the amp, andd all the other tricks I don't know, I'm fairly sure there is a way to make the 4 channel head unit do this through the amp.

Any thoughts?

if you want to be able to change the level between the 6's, 8's, and sub then you will either need a front/rear/sub capable stereo or wire in an loc with a level control for the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ak49er

ak49er
Big Lake, AK
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
CrossoverOre