install an amp to facotry H/U - no low level converter

TXST8tj
10+ year member

is it ok to install an amp to a facotry h/u without using a low level line converter thing?

my buddy is in the process of hooking up a 4 channel amp in his 08 tahoe, with a non bose factory headunit. he's going to run the RCAs from the amp to the headunit by cutting off the RCA ends at the headunit end and just splicing the speaker wires from the h/u harness to the bare ends of the respective RCAs.

is that an ok way of doing it?

you all have it backwards the amplifier will see extremely high input voltage as rca input is a low voltage 1v-8v while speaker level is much higher voltage thus he will very likely have way too much input voltage and thus may see full volume with little to no gain at all...

the LOC converts high voltage speaker level signal to low voltage rca signal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

you all have it backwards the amplifier will see extremely high input voltage as rca input is a low voltage 1v-8v while speaker level is much higher voltage thus he will very likely have way too much input voltage and thus may see full volume with little to no gain at all...
the LOC converts high voltage speaker level signal to low voltage rca signal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Ahhh yes, you are correct. I knew it was one way or the other lol, just didnt take the time to think about it.

Worlddre...thanks for the info. that's what i was looking for. he ended up hooking it up and thinks one of his speakers is blown. it sounds like it might possibly be getting too much 'volume'. i'll tell him to go ahead and get the LOC.

heh. many amps have speaker HIGH level inputs. I'm gonna go out on a limb here...and say that splicing the RCA into the end of the speaker wire was a horrible idea.

going to get the PAC OEM-GM1416 thing. it is a low level converter that plugs right into the factory harness (in-line with the radio and harness). also has the remote wire connection and fixes the door chime issue.

yeah, the basic idea works, it's just not the right way to do it i guess.

unfortunately, this amp does not have the low level converter built in like some amps.

the PAC adapter should do the trick...just costs $50.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.