??? inside layer mdf outside layer birch

I wouldnt see any advantages. People use Birch because its stronger and lighter, so weighing it down with MDF would be dumb. And if it was done, i think better results would be seen with the birch on the inside because its denser i believe.

just wondering tryin to save a few bucks, since mdf is about 20 bucks cheaper around here, box is going to be 13 cubic feet, so would it be better to save a lil more and just do 2 layers of birch.

just wondering tryin to save a few bucks, since mdf is about 20 bucks cheaper around here, box is going to be 13 cubic feet, so would it be better to save a lil more and just do 2 layers of birch.
I would do 2 layers of MDF. My 9.34 cubic foot box is double layered .75" MDF with no internal bracing what so ever and it will not flex. Period. you would be fine with 2 layers of .75", and you could do some bracing to make yourself feel better.

aight thanks man i plan on doing a small coat of fibergl*** on the inside of the box as well to strengthen it

So why would you want to use birch then? its more expensive and will take away some sound. You can just add bracing (or douple layer) on a MDF box to compensate for strength. Only thing left is weight being the benefit.

I'm just trying to understand box building more.

so what if ya use mdf for the inside to help keep the dense sound and put the birch outside for strength is i guess my main question how well thatd work

Using mdf inside would b ideal for sound,birch on the outside would certainly help add mass to the mdf and reduce vibration if it was completely laminated with glue or adhesive to the mdf! If weight of the enclosure is not an issue?

Just resin the inside of the birch......it won't absorb your db's. One layer of 1" birch is the same strength as 2 layers of 3/4" mdf. That will be what I do. Cause 2 sheets of mdf is the same price as 1" birch, and the birch is less work, and lighter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.