Input wanted on my Sundown SA 12 box. Please!

Participant count
  • Participant list

eddie_93
10+ year member

Colorado
Just wanted some input on the box I just made on my Sundown SA 12. I followed this box design from one of the stickies which is rougly 2 cubes after port displacement and tuned to 32 hz:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I ask because I feel like the sub just doesnt hit as hard and isn't as loud as it should be. I attached a couple pics of my box just for the heck of it, there are a couple 1" x 1" braces along the edges of the front face but they probably don't do much. All pieces are well glued/screwed and edges are lined with adhesive caulk. I figure after sub displacement tuning is more like 33 hz.

Did I do something wrong? Too little port area?

Thank you for any feedback!!

View attachment 26534619View attachment 26534618

Are you guys saying I should have had the sub centered on the front baffle or farther to the left yet? (in front of the rear port wall)

Slide the sub all the way to the left & right next to port opening......so sub will load on port wall.......Also make sure you are NOT choking port width where it makes the turn.....I would also add some bracing.....

Slide the sub all the way to the left & right next to port opening......so sub will load on port wall.......Also make sure you are NOT choking port width where it makes the turn.....I would also add some bracing.....
Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be building a new box then! What do you recommend for simple bracing? Dowel rods I think they are called?

As far as tuning and size of the box, does that looks alright?

You can use dowels, threaded rod, 2x2s, or you could just do some window bracing since you will already have some MDF right in front of you.....nothing else to buy!!!.......The NET cubes is fine for that SA......You can go up a little in port area if you have the room to make box bigger......That enclosure is in the range of 12" per cube......

You can use dowels, threaded rod, 2x2s, or you could just do some window bracing since you will already have some MDF right in front of you.....nothing else to buy!!!.......The NET cubes is fine for that SA......You can go up a little in port area if you have the room to make box bigger......That enclosure is in the range of 12" per cube......
What exactly is window bracing? I like the idea of nothing else to buy! I figured port area was small as well, will try to get it more towards the 14-15" per cube.

window bracing is a solid piece of mdf that touches all 4 sides of the box with the center cut out......leave about an 1 1/2" all the way around so it can be fastened from all 4 sides.........It will be super strong...........It looks like a divider but the CENTER is cutout.....

window bracing is a solid piece of mdf that touches all 4 sides of the box with the center cut out......leave about an 1 1/2" all the way around so it can be fastened from all 4 sides.........It will be super strong...........It looks like a divider but the CENTER is cutout.....
I understand now. Thanks man!

Ok, built a new box. Few questions.

1. Should sub be all the way to the left on the front baffle or more toward the middle?

2. I want to put one small brace in between the back port wall and back of the box and then a window brace a few inches to the right of end of the port. Will this be fine or will it interrupt air flow into the port?

Thanks!

SundownBoxidea1.png

S5030096.jpg

S5030097.jpg

Well here's what I ended up with. Should be about 2 cubes on the dot after displacements and tuned to 33 hz. Not sure about the bracing I did, ended up with one brace between rear port wall and back of box and then added a window brace.

Let me know what you guys think! and what I should have done differently.

SundownBoxidea1.png

S5030099.jpg

S5030101.jpg

S5030103.jpg

S5030105.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here's what I ended up with. Should be about 2 cubes on the dot after displacements and tuned to 33 hz. Not sure about the bracing I did, ended up with one brace between rear port wall and back of box and then added a window brace. Let me know what you guys think! and what I should have done differently.

S5030099.jpg

S5030101.jpg

S5030103.jpg

S5030105.jpg
looks good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/2thumbs.gif.fdc3ba010dbb42b61704534b46d02fe4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.