Infinity Kappa 120.9 or Kicker Comp VR

kolkim

Hey guys, first post. As I was looking at reviews of these 2 subwoofers I noticed this forum alot and people seem to know what they're talking about here. I'm not very smart with subwoofers and amps but I listen to very bass heavy music. I have JL Audio W3 with some pioneer amp and it sounds awesome although not powerful enough. I want to get 2 12" subs and the guy I buy JL from and I are not on good terms. I am looking at these 2 particular subs, the Infinity Kappa 120.9 or Kicker Comp VR, both at around $200 on Futureshop.ca. The reason I have to choose between these 2 subs is because it HAS to be bought from Futureshop, and they are the best subwoofers Futureshop Canada has to offer (I believe). Which of the 2 would you prefer? I heard that the Kicker has better SPL but Infinity has better SQ. If I get 2 12"s I believe SPL would not be an issue so I'm leaning towards the $20 more expensive Infinity. The music I listen to is Dubstep, DnB and occasionally, especially now because of Eminem's new album, rap.

Another question. I need a box and amp, although a box would be relatively easy for me to acquire, I don't know what amp or how much power I need. The Infinity is rated at 350 RMS but can do 1400W peak power. How much Wattage should an amp be to not under or overpower 2 of the subwoofers?

P.S. When I just signed up there was a math question "What is four plus one times two". The answer is 6 because it isn't written "What is (four plus one) times two". Lol I just wanted to point that out.

Proper box is key, and of the 2 the kappa would be my choice. If I had to buy from that place I would do 3 or 4 of the energy 12's with a good 1000 watt amp. 4 of those energy 12's in a 3-4 cubic foot box stuffed with polyfill would be dang sweet.

Proper box is key, and of the 2 the kappa would be my choice. If I had to buy from that place I would do 3 or 4 of the energy 12's with a good 1000 watt amp. 4 of those energy 12's in a 3-4 cubic foot box stuffed with polyfill would be dang sweet.
sorry quoted wrong person lol

Hey guys, first post. As I was looking at reviews of these 2 subwoofers I noticed this forum alot and people seem to know what they're talking about here. I'm not very smart with subwoofers and amps but I listen to very bass heavy music. I have JL Audio W3 with some pioneer amp and it sounds awesome although not powerful enough. I want to get 2 12" subs and the guy I buy JL from and I are not on good terms. I am looking at these 2 particular subs, the Infinity Kappa 120.9 or Kicker Comp VR, both at around $200 on Futureshop.ca. The reason I have to choose between these 2 subs is because it HAS to be bought from Futureshop, and they are the best subwoofers Futureshop Canada has to offer (I believe). Which of the 2 would you prefer? I heard that the Kicker has better SPL but Infinity has better SQ. If I get 2 12"s I believe SPL would not be an issue so I'm leaning towards the $20 more expensive Infinity. The music I listen to is Dubstep, DnB and occasionally, especially now because of Eminem's new album, rap.

Another question. I need a box and amp, although a box would be relatively easy for me to acquire, I don't know what amp or how much power I need. The Infinity is rated at 350 RMS but can do 1400W peak power. How much Wattage should an amp be to not under or overpower 2 of the subwoofers?

P.S. When I just signed up there was a math question "What is four plus one times two". The answer is 6 because it isn't written "What is (four plus one) times two". Lol I just wanted to point that out.
2 of the cvr 12's can handle 1k rms all day everyday mabey more. And if the cvr's come in the 3.75 or 4 cubic foot ported box they would be way louder. Also the Cvrs are 12" exact the Infinitys are 11.3. And just to be specific by 1k rms I mean 500 a piece.

Infinity Kappa is a good all-around subwoofer. It sounds tight and deep. It looks great. It works well in a 1cu ft sealed box. 1.2 or so is optimal for perfect qtc, but 0.2cu ft shouldn't spoil the sound. But the design is supposedly "medium q" implying that they work well in either sealed or ported. The SPL potential is decent, 17 mm xmax. The power rating is 350watts, but I had no issues with running 600watts of power to it. Clearly, the SQ was a target for this sub as verified by the low inductance proudly advertized on the spec sheet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.