In over my head on new install.

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Awesome, thanks for the help. This amp has speaker level inputs, so if that fixes the issue then good enough. The sub has to run RCAs, but it doesn't seem to be able to hit frequencies high enough to make the noise, so no issues there.
I have had this nightmare before on 2 Pioneer screen radios. After trying all, only thing that solved it was using a single set of rcas. In retrospect I deduced it started when I accidentally touched one of the rca's tip to the amp chassis.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com VIP
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
I would try a good set of RCA's from Stinger or JL Audio or someplace similar not Walmart garbage (not saying you have that just making an example is all). You can find a lot of that stuff at Amazon and have it by Monday if you have prime or if you order now sometimes you can get it the next day. I had similar issues 20 some years ago and it was bad RCA's.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
the cheapo 15 dollar rockford rca from amazon works well. No need to pay a crazy price.

Also if you hot swapped RCAs while playing music, not sure about that particular model if it has a known pico fuse issue but you might have popped that as well if you were hot swapping.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com VIP
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
I've used Rockford RCA's in the past with good luck as well. Right now what I have in there is all stinger but tbh idc what it is as long as the quality is there and the price isn't going to break my wallet.

OP
L

LsGuy

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Fade it front, fade it back, left and right. Narrow it down. When you troubleshoot, the the less things eliminated from the equation, the closer you will be to car audio salvation :LOL:
Sorry that took a while, busy weekend. Seems to be coming from all 4 door speakers. Some good news though, that pioneer sub fixed the bass issue. New problem though, it rattles everything in the car lmao. I'll get that taken care of eventually, focusing on this static issue. My USB extension is coming today so I'll have an excuse to pull the head unit and test running the speakers over speak wire.

OP
L

LsGuy

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
One more thing I noticed today. During one bass heavy song I noticed a slight electrical burning smell. I felt the amp, felt pretty warm but didn't burn me. Then when I opened the trunk the smell was much more. The sub I am running is 250 watts RMS 700 watts peak. It is wired in 4 ohm and I have 12 gauge wire running to it. At 4 ohms my amp should output 200 watts RMS to that channel. The bass boost is down and gain is roughly half way maybe slightly less. The sub isn't distorting (maybe slightly from being run free air) and is nowhere near bottoming out. It can go way louder but I have it turned down so it doesn't rattle the rear deck so hard (deck mounted sub in the factory mounting location). What's the deal, am I burning the sub up?

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
One more thing I noticed today. During one bass heavy song I noticed a slight electrical burning smell. I felt the amp, felt pretty warm but didn't burn me. Then when I opened the trunk the smell was much more. The sub I am running is 250 watts RMS 700 watts peak. It is wired in 4 ohm and I have 12 gauge wire running to it. At 4 ohms my amp should output 200 watts RMS to that channel. The bass boost is down and gain is roughly half way maybe slightly less. The sub isn't distorting (maybe slightly from being run free air) and is nowhere near bottoming out. It can go way louder but I have it turned down so it doesn't rattle the rear deck so hard (deck mounted sub in the factory mounting location). What's the deal, am I burning the sub up?
If its smelling, you are clipping. Gain is not a volume knob, half way could already be past danger zone.

OP
L

LsGuy

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Understood. Advice on setting gain? Most articals I read say that you set gain below distortion at 75% volume. I'm well below that as it tries to rattle the deck apart well before distortion.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Understood. Advice on setting gain? Most articals I read say that you set gain below distortion at 75% volume. I'm well below that as it tries to rattle the deck apart well before distortion.
Turn off all bass eq, bass boost, loudness settings on head unit and amp. Get up to 80 to 90% head unit volume, go up relatively high on the sub level, give yourself like 6 levels of headroom so you can adjust it on weaker bass music. Go to the amp lower it all down, play your hardest hitting song, raise the gain till it stops getting louder, then back it off a hair. Then do 2 to 5 min test sessions to see if any of the equipment gets hot or smells. If it doesnt smell and only gets warm, you are good. If it does smell, keep backing the gain or sub level down.

Reactions: LsGuy
OP
L

LsGuy

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Turn off all bass eq, bass boost, loudness settings on head unit and amp. Get up to 80 to 90% head unit volume, go up relatively high on the sub level, give yourself like 6 levels of headroom so you can adjust it on weaker bass music. Go to the amp lower it all down, play your hardest hitting song, raise the gain till it stops getting louder, then back it off a hair. Then do 2 to 5 min test sessions to see if any of the equipment gets hot or smells. If it doesnt smell and only gets warm, you are good. If it does smell, keep backing the gain or sub level down.
Appreciate it. Ill give that a shot when I get time. In the meantime I'll keep the volume around half. It doesn't seem to smell if I avoid the high volumes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Latest classifieds