In a 3-way Active set-up...?

Participant count
  • Participant list

LaserRed38
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Just have a quick question. I have another thread in the SW section because I am trying to decide on my final decision for my sub/sub amp, but I have been planning on going to an active front stage for a while now. Depending on my amp choice, I may use my current amp to power my sub so that is why I am asking this question. I've been looking at the new SRx Audison amps, and they have a 5ch. I was wondering, in an active 3-way set-up, I know the mids are usually in stereo, but depending on the Xover point, would it matter if the mids were in mono? May be a dumb question, but I read the sticky and didn't see anything about it, but every active set-up I've seen had the mids in stereo, either being powered by a 6ch amp or their own 2ch so, just wanted to know if that was correct. I was thinking about saving up for that SRx 5ch and either a.) powering the whole system with it and a small sub, or b.) going active with my current set-up and adding some 4" mid-ranges, and powering the mids with the 5th mono channel; then using my current LRx for the sub. I know my 9835 doesn't have a 4-way Xover though, so obviously I would need a processor of some kind...Sorry for the long read //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You could use the xover that came with your components to cross over the midranges/tweeters, and use the 3 way on the deck to bandpass the midbass... kind of a combo active/passive setup. As for your question about running them mono, I dunno that I'd do it. While a lot of lower notes in music tend not to be separated in stereo, i.e. why subs tend not to have L/R separation, you might notice it in a midbass, depending on how high up you have them LPF'd. You could give it a shot though I guess... wouldn't hurt anything. The only thing is to make sure that your 5th channel is stable at 2 ohms mono.

My thoughts exactly. Just confirming them. Nice idea on the passive/active combo. I'm not sure if I have the time and money to spend on trying that way out though. I could always pick up the amp anyway and go active with just the components I have and the sub (3-way tweeter, mid and sub) then sell my other Audison. We'll see...thanks for the comments.

Actually, there is quite a bit of debate on this subject. There are many (very reputable) people out there that say that up to about 300 hz, you'd be hard pressed to hear the difference between stereo and mono. I have yet to try it myself, but there is a new trend out there, that is starting to run things more in mono, for better staging.

IMO, it's worth trying.

theoretically in your car, you wont be able to tell where anything with a wavelength of ~4 feet (distance from ear to furthest away speaker) or more originates from

1140 / 4 gives you about 285hz when it starts to become directional. this is all on the assumption that the speed of sound remains constant at 1140 feet per second, (~341 m/s)

ofcourse, it varies with temperature though. you most likely wont be able to tell any difference without a very acute sense of sound

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.